HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghosts of Erebus (part eight): The Hallways of Hell
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Ghosts of Erebus (part eight): The Hallways of Hell Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Ghosts of Erebus (part eight): The Hallways of Hell
Posted by Chuckles
17 January 2005, 8:59 PM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=chuckles.0117052059129.html
Chuckles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably nobody would notice, but I accidentally changed Captain Addy's first name from Robert to Joseph. My bad. Hope you like the rest of it.

C.T. Clown
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized something... does the names Erebus (which was, if my faulty memory serves me correctly, some kind of a greek giant), Thanatos (death) and Orpheus (was it the singer who went into Hades?) have any, you know, additional meanings other than what they are depicted as? I can kind of get Thanatos, and the Orpheus being the first to be destroyed may mean a personal commentary on the fact that the hopes and dreams are the first to be destroyed on our passage to adulthood. Or am I just babbling?
Chuckles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye Sev. Erebus is another word for Hell in Greek Mythology. All of the names in this series that come from Greek Mythology have at least a little relation to their original meaning. So far I have used Charon, Cerberus, Thanatos, Orpheus, Erebus, Eurydice, Parnassus and Loxias. I may have forgotten one.

Thanatos was the God of Death in Greek Mythology, not to be confused with Hades who was ruler of the dead in the underworld. Hades ruled the dead, Thanatos was more akin to the Grim Reaper.

C.T. Clown
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep waiting for them to cross the River Styx
(Na)Marl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Another great installment. Keep it up!
Covie_Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy! Some one else who crazy about Greek mythology! Yay! Are you going to add the daughters(the Fates) of Nyx? Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos (My favorite. Wheee! Fear the shears of DOOM!)
Chuckles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh boy! Some one else who crazy about Greek mythology! Yay! Are you going to add the daughters(the Fates) of Nyx? Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos (My favorite. Wheee! Fear the shears of DOOM!)

No, I think I've got enough mythological reference at this point Very Happy

C.T. Clown
Covie_Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo. Oh well.

Mr. Green
(Na)Marl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Oops, forgot to give you a number score. Again. 92/100. What ever happened to Turpetrator's heroic end? Was that cut do to recent posts done by Turp? Are you to having a fight?! Can I WATCH?!?! Jk.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice history thing towards the beginning. I like how you explained stuff out and gave us a foundation on which to base things. Kinda gave your plot a much larger perspective. I like that.

For some reason, I thought this chapter was peaking your writing ability. I loved it fully.
I actually didn't notice all that much wrong with it. Perhaps you had too manu suspenseful moments for me to think of anything else. Though, the flow was jsut slightly off - if not caused by multiple characters. Not bad at all, but something you couldn't avoid.

Overall, I am eager to read your next installment. But, don't go and rush it. I want the best of what you can offer. Don't let me down. Keep up the great work.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
--Oops, forgot to give you a number score. Again. 92/100. What ever happened to Turpetrator's heroic end? Was that cut do to recent posts done by Turp? Are you to having a fight?! Can I WATCH?!?! Jk.

Nah, me and Turp are very good friends, and were roommates the year before I got married. He publishes a quarterly journal which I help edit. I had just cancelled a morning/breakfast/editing session, and then his hilarous (I thought that they were funny) critiques showed up. It was all in fun. His quip about the Gregorian Calendar not being "good enough" for me about made me fall out of my chair. No, I think I gave him a fairly heroic ending. Maybe not as good as Mike's, but heroic.

Thanks MCC. I had felt like I rushed the previous chapter, so I made sure I didn't put this one up until it was done.

C.T. Clown
Covie_Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so nice to see mature people who take advice to heart....

Very Happy
Ark Night

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erubus is the road to hell in Greek mythology and Hades is actually hell. I guess there was a mix up. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Erubus is the road to hell in Greek mythology and Hades is actually hell. I guess there was a mix up. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Arbitress posted the same statement on the Serious Lack of Vultures thread. Here was my answer then:

Well, not exactly. Hades (Pluto to the Romans) was the name of Zeus's brother who was god of the underworld. The underworld was called Tartarus or Erebus. After a while, Hades' name became synonymous with the underworld he ruled, and people called it by his name. But the actual name of Hell (which was the underworld and the place the Titans were trapped) was Tartarus or Erebus.

Ghosts also has the name of the "boatman" who transports you across the river Styx, Charon (pilot who takes Sagus to Erebus in part two), the name of the three headed dog who guards the entrance of Erebus/Tartarus, Cerberus (the name of the UNSC cruiser that took the Spartans to Erebus), the name of the Greek god of death, Thanatos (mysterious, evil man who tortures Sagus in part four) and at least three references to the story of Orpheus (Orpheus was the former name of the planet Erebus, Eurydice his doomed wife is the name of the planet's moon, and although I'm yet to reveal it, Orpheus' home town of Parnassus is the name of the main city).

Whew! Got it? Very Happy

C.T. Clown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: