HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales From the Homefront: Prologue: The Russian Front, Stali
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Tales From the Homefront: Prologue: The Russian Front, Stali Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Tales From the Homefront: Prologue: The Russian Front, Stalingrad: Part 1: Into the Fires of Hell an
Posted by (ENS) Rabid_Gallagher (rabid_masterchief@hotmail.com)
15 January 2005, 4:31 AM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=ens_rabid_ga.0115050431361.html
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. I mean, the whole beginning seems like a great Halo adaption of Call of Duty or Enemy at the Gates, but still quite good. It's one thing to watch it, another to write it.

I got a little confused on your description of the sniper's run to the foxhole, I thought she had made it, but then it seemed like she didn't...

...Oh yeah, and what's a "sapper"?

Overall, very good. The chapter just flew by. Looking forward to the urban combat.
Covie_Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayonets vs. Covenant? Ugh.

Nice story though.

By the way, sappers are people who place explosives in battle. Sometimes, they are suicidal.
Phædrus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. Why you chose Russia, I don't know. Maybe you are doing a thing on WW2 in school right now?

Anyways, I don't see why they would be coming in to an LZ by boat. Why not use Pelicans? I understand how there was all sorts of Covenant anti-aircraft batteries set up and stuff, but I don't think that boats would stand much of a chance, either. And isn't Stalingrad inland?

But it's a good story nonetheless. It could have been a bit longer and you had a few spelling mistakes, but otherwise it was good. 8/10. Good job.
thedarkfire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Stalingrad is inland. It is now the city of St. Petersburg. But Stalingrad does sound much better for war scenes.
Phædrus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. St. Petersburg sounds fruity.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In school, Fan...atic? Uh, guess you don't know ENS is like 31, eh? Oh well.

Well, I like the Russian feel you gave to it, but I would have thought there were just mixed Marines. You could have done that and simply had the CO Russian; adding to the feel.
As for the boat, yeah, that struck me as "so 21st century", but, there is that river. So, use what you got I suppose.

I noticed some repeats of lines from your other series. Well, as good as some of those lines might be, try to keep those in one story. Be original with all others. That way, each series sounds distinctive. A story of its own.

I actually think the whole bayonett thing is fine. I mean, if I were in charge of that kind of thing, as long as the Marines still have their combat knives, heck, why not fix them on your gun to add a close quarters option? Makes perfect sense to me.

There are some general things in there that seem to just ail your writing as a whole. But, I mentioned them on your other story. So, just check that out and use it in all your writing. Makes things better. And I am sure you want to be as good as possible.

You could have exanded more and explained more about your plot and how and why you had set the story. Just kinda of a more prologue-ish thing, I suppose. Set the stage. But, you did that, to a fair degree.

Overall, I liked it. Didn't sound as modern as I would have expected, but, it was still okay. Keep up the good work. But don't stop trying to improve your writing. I only want to see the best from you.
Phædrus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by ENS!?! *Checks top of page.* Oh crap! I didn't know that! And if I did, I forgot while reading it. Oops Embarassed .
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right, guys.

Lemme explain why I chose Russian Marines for Mother Russia. I am currently making another fanfic that ties with this.

You see, there is a another human empire, The Russian Confederation, or the TRC as some in my fic's will call it.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
HoZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one was preety good
mr bill
is a step away from a ban.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The sound of German gun fire was raging in the battleground in front of him."

Hunh? What?
mr bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Stalingrand is Volgagrad now, on the Volga river (hence the water).

St. Petersburg used to be Leningrad, not Stalingrad.
Elitehunter676

Location: In the heat of battle with only four Marines and outnumbered three to one. Piss poor odds for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you do know that there is no such thing as the Russian Confederation or whatever right? I mean your just making that up. Because realisticly you have to know that there is no such thing. It is simply the United Earth Government or UEG.
Also on a lighter note(If you want to ignore this, you can.) human weapons are no longer created with the ability to mount bayonets. This is because after the end of the Kolslovic Wars (Forgive me if I spelled that wrong) their tactical, uselessness, was recognized and thus no weapons were any longer modified to carry bayonets. Instead the option is given upon joining the Marine Corps, if you wish to be outfitted with a combat knife or an auxillary ammo bandolier.

"Semper Fi do or die."
"Gung Ho!"
"Gung Ho!"
"Gung Ho!"
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no! Elite-dude, I meant that they "broke off" and now have a government on Earth and a large part of space.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
mr bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elitehunter676 wrote:
Also on a lighter note(If you want to ignore this, you can.) human weapons are no longer created with the ability to mount bayonets. This is because after the end of the Kolslovic Wars (Forgive me if I spelled that wrong) their tactical, uselessness, was recognized and thus no weapons were any longer modified to carry bayonets. Instead the option is given upon joining the Marine Corps, if you wish to be outfitted with a combat knife or an auxillary ammo bandolier.

The AK 74 has a Bayonet mount.

Tactical uselessness? It's called "redundancy".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: