HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mist: Chapter 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Mist: Chapter 2 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Mist: Chapter 2
Posted by Winters (patpan04@yahoo.com)
11 January 2005, 9:07 AM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=winters.0111050907413.html
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch your wording and flow. Some of your sentenses made sense, but they could have been made to flow and read better. Try to use a combination of words that not only sounds good in a sentense, but from one to the next.

Try exfliating your characters a bit. That first part could have been expanded to twice the size. In the process, you could have gone to tell us more about the mission (people involved, terrain, etc.) and more about her sister and/or their relationship. Just would have made it more encompassing.

Spell out those ranks. My most common way of explain why is: have you ever heard someone pronounce sergeant "Sgt."? I didn't think so. Stuff like that needs to be spelled out to look good in text.
Same goes for numbers.

Beef that dialogue up a bit. You had the words, but nothing (emotion, description, etc.) to go along with it; telling us what they were doing/thinking/feeling. When you include that kind of stuff, it just makes your characters more human to the reader. And plus, it developes them and their personality as well.

Keep things professional, too. Since this didn't seem like an episode of RvB, try to not include "Thirty minutes later" headings. Explain that it is later, just don't tell us.

And just as a plot thing, why are humans on a planet with a Forerunner structure that has not been explored? You would expect that kind of thing to get checked out. 'Specially if if looked promising.

Overall, this was pretty good. Just work on what I told you about, and keep making an effort to improve. Good luck; and have fun.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read your whole series and I like it alot I don't think I've posted on one of them yet but I like it and the series as a whole gets 86/100.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: