HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Images Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Images
Posted by Mr Bill Jr V (mr_bill_jr_5@hotmail.com)
6 January 2005, 3:29 AM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=mr_bill_jr_v.0106050329311.html
Zofinda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great poem-story, although- it was hard for to follow at times but thats probably because i read to fast. It is a nice mix-up to the often seen all action and gore stories on here. Id like to see some more stories from you , keep it up.
Berconius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To zofinda: Search his name. He's got a a couple more.

Anyway, you chose an interesting thing to write about, Mr. Bill. Contemplation, flashback, and heavy imagery isn't stuff I usually see around here, to say the least. I got a vaguely sappy feel from this like a film noir. Not as strong, though. Cool.

Unrelated to this work, will you be writing about Damius in the foreseeable future?
mr bill
is a step away from a ban.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donno... actaully talking to Vec40 right now about doing something together... see what he has planned...
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see somethin' by you, mr bill. I was wondering where you had gotten to.

I do enjoy your poetic use of words. Very nice.
I noted a few places where flow or grammar or punctuation kind of made the sentense sound off. So, as little as this will mean, just check over things more thoroughly - which I know you already must do. Do you hand it off to anyone? If you don't, I would suggest it. If you do, I'll just cope with the fact that a person can't catch everything.
ie:
You wrote:
Human I can only struggle against this awful night.

I thought just a single coma could have fixed the problem in this sentense. It just didn't make sense - when I used straight forward reading.
You wrote:
Drifting smog mixed exhaust turned the horizon orange . . .

I think there should have been a "with" in there. Once again, just a small mistake, but it does take away from things - of not very slightly.

I was actually startled and disapointed when I came to the end. I had barely noticed the bar scroll down to the bottom. So, my majoy complaint is that it was too short.

Overall, a great piece of work. I have taken notice of the habit you seem to have of including a great deal of symbolism and emotion [turmoil] in your stories. I cannot remember the title, but I read some series a little while back by you. This doesn't seem as refined, but it is still good, to be sure.
mr bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC's Cousin wrote:
I thought just a single coma could have fixed the problem in this sentense. It just didn't make sense - when I used straight forward reading.

You're right there... a comma would have worked.

MC's Cousin wrote:
I think there should have been a "with" in there. Once again, just a small mistake, but it does take away from things - of not very slightly.

Nope, that's exactly how I wanted it to be.

I agree... very short. *Just* creeps in over the word limit.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . Okay. But, it didn't make all that much sense to me in a grammatical sense when I read it. I even went over it and its context a couple times. Well, maybe I'll just have to adjust to your style a bit more.

. . . Ah, okay. My bad. Exhaust mixed with drifting smog? It makes more sense now. But . . . oh bother.
Don't worry about it; I'm not in much of a poetic mindset. Nor am I used to your way of presenting material.
mr bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC's Cousin wrote:
Well, maybe I'll just have to adjust to your style a bit more.

No, I think you're 100% right in that case. There really should be a comma there Smile

In the second case however, it really is a matter of style- that's how the sentance played out. I don't think a 'with' would have worked as well, if that clears things up a bit.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't refering to the coma in the case of style.

But, in the second case (yeah, this is getting repedetive) I do see your point. Having it say:
Quote:
Drifting smog mixed with exhaust turned the horizon orange . . .

-Would take away from the pose you had going; it would have indeed taken away from the feel.
Quote:
Slowly drifting exhaust-ridden smog sat on the horizon, turning the boundry between land and sky a blazing orange . . .

-Is more along the lines of what I would have liked. But, it does seem less poetic than would have fit in.

I suppose the transition between "Drifting" and "smog mixed exhaust" just kinda threw me off. I wasn't expecting it, and didn't know exactly how I should read it.
Repeating myself, in this case (not the coma) I will have to adjust to your distinct style - as you most certainly have one.

I'll have to reserve further judgement for future posts, I suppose. Though, I didn't have any "problems" like that in your last series. Oh well.
mr bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, thanks for the points- I'll try to figure out some way of incoprating both grammitical persicion, and style.

As for the coma thing, well, that'd just be the task of review review review.
mr bill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to add- as I keep re-reading this piece, that I think it's my new favorite of my stuff.

I don't know, I just really like the way it turned out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: