HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghosts of Erebus (part seven): Fairytales and Nightmares
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Ghosts of Erebus (part seven): Fairytales and Nightmares Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Ghosts of Erebus (part seven): Fairytales and Nightmares
Posted by Chuckles
2 January 2005, 4:57 PM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=chuckles.0102051657148.html
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Chuckles. I didn't like this as much as I did your other instalments but still it quenched my thirst for more gore in Halo Fan Fictions. Nice, I'll be waiting patiently for the next one. P.S. I must say today there has been some fantastic stories uploaded, Parcel 'o Rogues, Ghosts of Erebus, The High Charity as well as many more and a great poem by ENS and another by myself (which I thought was ok) and some more I havn't read yet. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Golden Age approaches faster than ever.
(Na)Marl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Hey, Chuckles, I read this at your website before it was posted here. Smile I love the part when Sagus bites Thanatos's ear off.
monitor101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Erebus Reply with quote

Ghosts of Erebus. Not bad. Have you seen Blade? The "book of Erebus". I'm probably being obvious but did you get the name from that?
Chuckles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ghosts of Erebus. Not bad. Have you seen Blade? The "book of Erebus". I'm probably being obvious but did you get the name from that?

No, I got the name from the same place the writers of Blade did--Greek mythology. Erebus and Tartarus are mythological names for the underworld, ruled by Hades (or Pluto to the Romans), brother of Zeus.

I almost named it Ghosts of Tartarus, since I started the series before Halo 2 came out. Dodged a bullet on that one.

C.T. Clown
(Na)Marl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--I think Tartarus is where they kept Kronos, isn't it?
Bloodcider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckles wrote:
I almost named it Ghosts of Tartarus, since I started the series before Halo 2 came out. Dodged a bullet on that one.

Smile Erebus sounds better anyway.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title is fine, Chuck. And I agree, Erebus fits the mood of the story anyway.

Wiley? Hmm. Interesting.

Yeah, I thought that it could have been better overall. It just seemed like it was rushed a bit, not all the way up to par as it should have been. I just didn't get into it as deeply as I would have liked.
I suppose I thought you left out a couple details or something. Some things that could have been expanded, or whatever.
It wasn't bad, but I suppose I was expecting more.

Overall, just don't stop working your absolute hardest. This is a great series, and I am looking forward to where you continue to lead me.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, I thought that it could have been better overall. It just seemed like it was rushed a bit, not all the way up to par as it should have been. I just didn't get into it as deeply as I would have liked.
I suppose I thought you left out a couple details or something. Some things that could have been expanded, or whatever.
It wasn't bad, but I suppose I was expecting more.

This is the one story in the whole series that I read after I submitted it and wished I had put in more detail. I liked this one a lot and still do, but there were a couple of places where I went thin on description. One of those times where you wonder what state of mind you were in during the proofread. Still, this one has hit different people differently. A guy at work who reads it thought it was the best yet. But yeah, it sat uneasy with me when I read it again.

The one thing I remember as I was finishing this one up was my wife saying, "Aren't you done with that yet? Have you spent time with the kids?" If I had it to do over again, I would have put it away, and taken some quality time with it later. But, personally, I do like this one. I was pleased with Loxias, and I liked the direction the story went.

C.T. Clown
FaithPlusOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole story is very good, well written with an interesting plot. On the other hand all the suspense is starting to drive me crazy, and not necessarily in a good way. I'm not sure if it's the way your creating suspense or that your doing it so often, but I'm getting tired of wondering what happened, what's happening, and what's going to happen, or maybe I just really want to know what the damn demon is. I think your also overusing the "guns belched flame" phrase, mostly because of the fact that it sounded so good the first time I read it that it stuck in my memory, so it sounded too-familiar when I read it again. Besides those minor gripes however, I think the story is quite good, matching the excellent quality which I expected after reading your other series.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think your also overusing the "guns belched flame" phrase, mostly because of the fact that it sounded so good the first time I read it that it stuck in my memory, so it sounded too-familiar when I read it again.

Trust me, it's all in your mind, because this chapter is the first and only time I have used the phrase belched flame in this story. I think you remember it from the last chapter of Mission from SATU.

I have been revealing bits and pieces about the "demon" in the last two stories. The full story will come out soon. As for the reason the planet Erebus is considered a virtual Hell--that will be explained next chapter. And oh, what fun it will be when Chuckles and Thanatos meet! I know that not everybody likes the suspense, but quite honestly, I have found that most people love to be kept in suspense until close to the end. Your's is the first complaint I have heard about it. Believe it or not though, if I had already revealed everything you would probably enjoy the story less.

C.T. Clown
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspence is great, especially in this series where it is almost killing me too find out about the box. By the way Chuckles, if it is Pandora I must appologise that I have writtin a ship into my story called Pandora, but I did it before I read this series. Actually when I started reading through I just went, SHIT! Because I was positive that it was Pandora too, but hopefully there will be a plot twist that will meen it isn't, or something. But if it is I might just change the name.
FaithPlusOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trust me, it's all in your mind, because this chapter is the first and only time I have used the phrase belched flame in this story. I think you remember it from the last chapter of Mission from SATU.

Ooh. Well that's embarassing. Embarassed

Quote:
I have been revealing bits and pieces about the "demon" in the last two stories.

You mean last two chapters?

Anyways I don't think I'd mind the suspense so much if I could be reading the next chapter right now, but I can't, so hurry up with the next chapter. Wink
Bloodcider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckles, Do you have the whole series planned out? Or do you just make up stuff as you type?
Chuckles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithplusone:
Quote:
Ooh. Well that's embarassing.

Don't worry about it. Thanks for reading and taking the time to review.

Bloodcider:
Quote:
Chuckles, Do you have the whole series planned out? Or do you just make up stuff as you type?

It's always a mix. I had all of the big stuff for Erebus (what was in the box; why the planet is a virtual hell) planned early on. If you go back through the story after it's all done, you'll see a fair amount of foreshadowing. I will add stuff as I go, and some of those things can become major parts of the plot. The smaller details I make up as I write based on how I think the characters would react. Endings are a completely different amimal. Even though I usually have an idea of how the story will end, that usually changes--a lot.

C.T. Clown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: