HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Harmony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: New Harmony Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

New Harmony
Posted by Firerwolf (triss2008@yahoo.com)
28 September 2011, 2:04 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Firerwolf0928110204521.html
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work here. I like the idea behind the story, and I've toyed with doing something similar myself in the past. There were some issues with perspective, I though, however. A lot of Shar's introspection was far beyond a six-year-old child's understanding, even one intelligent enough to end up a Spartan. The changes in perspective were also jarring and not very obvious. A line break would do a lot to make it more evident.

Still, enjoyable story, and sorry for taking so long to comment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know any six-year-old children and I don't particularly like children, so I didn't have much perspective of a six year old's views. Changes in perspective? Do you mean the few seconds when it follows Blue team rather than Shar?
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there were a few times it wasn't clear exactly who the perspective was. As far as writing from a child's perspective, I'd just recommend a simplified use of language. Just think of what words a child might use, maybe even remembering your own childhood.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was Shar's POV throughout all of it except for the ending. I'm not very good at simplifying my language when I write. I don't think it looks as good or reads as well. Shar barely actually speaks and all the stuff that 's not speech is more of a more descriptive way of how she's feeling. I feel stupid when I write it less than how I wrote it this piece, like simplifying my writing is more of regression than progress toward my skill.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can just as much add to your skill in writing, especially in developing a unique voice for your POV character. I'd say writing from a child's perspective, but a very intelligent child, would be a challenge, personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: