HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo: Second War part 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Halo: Second War part 5 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Halo: Second War part 5
Posted by Carson Woo (chinamancarson@yahoo.com.hk)
10 April 2011, 5:43 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Carson_Woo0410110543071.html
MasterPIE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, i have a serious point to voice out: the part where admiral keyes discriminates the Japanese for his country of war is not totally bad, but you have to see its context. 2500s -> people would be talking about insurrection wars, human-covenant, or even interplanetary wars. In addition, readers might be quick to jump from a fact in the story(keyes doesnt like japanese) to an impression of the author. (author is biased towards people from other countries?) Do not give the reader a chance to stereotype you. It will ruin your entire story. (my english teacher was good at that)
One more thing: the stereotyping due to nation of origin is not as serious as depicted in your story; i am a singaporean, but do you see us cheering when japan got struck by the earthquakes and tsunami?
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quote this paragraph verbatim, emphasis added, simply because I saw it and my jaw dropped.

Quote:
"Welcome to the Forward Unto Dawn, Lieutenants. I don't have ver strict rules, but if you got your stomach lost during battles you're surely off my ship. I have a good relationship with Admiral Hood. He'll make a transfer for those who don't have bravery. And I am talking to you, Lieutenant Hakoshima. I am American. Remember 1941 , Pearl Harbor. And Lieutenant Chan, you are Chinese, but have mercy on this freaking idiot not respectful Japanese. To your consoles."

Shocked

Oh, piss off.
Carson Woo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, you see, you have COMPLETELY misunderstood my work. Refer to the next paragraph after the one which pissed you off. You'd like to piss off too after seeing it. It stated that ADMIRAL KEYES WANTED TO MAKE HAKOSHIMA OBEY HIM AND NOT TO BE SO ARROGANT!!!

I don't think you will understand, but I hope you will post like the one who is above you. I do have mistakes, I admit, but I'm just new to HBO. Also,I'm just in Halo for 'bout 1 to 2 years.

Yes and No to Mr. Singarpore's question. I feel sorry for the ones who died in Japan, but I'm glad that Japan cannot be a menace for a few months and cannot take Chinese land. Say, Diao Yu Island. (釣魚台)
UNSC Trooper

Location: Overlooking a rebel hideout from an orbiting UEG patrol frigate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I would say most UNSC officers are quite patriotic towards both their own countries of origin and humanity as a whole. Snapping a chord in defense of your country is normal. But to assign this level of uncultured discrimination to Admiral Keyes, a character whose demeanor hasn't displayed any solid hints of patriotism/nationalism (actually, scratch that, dying on an alien planetoid for humanity is as patriotic as you can get), is not only uncanonical but also extremely naive. You're a fresh fanfic writer and it's an understandable mistake, but be careful not to assign uncanonical character traits in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: