HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Like Father, Like Son.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Like Father, Like Son. Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Like Father, Like Son.
Posted by crashedwarthog (wozza__610@hotmail.com)
6 February 2011, 12:54 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=crashedwarth0206111254181.html
'Nosolee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick read, very fast paced, fairly well written. Good description of action sequences. On the whole, not much character development. Aside from the bit about "The Private's" father and his advice, we learn little about the protagonist. In a way, it was very much like ODST and Reach, whereby the the player (in this case the reader)--given little to no backstory--fills the main character with his or her own projections. If you set out to fashion a story along those lines, then you succeded. Once familial relationships entered the story, however, I found myself wondering more about the sniper's history with his father and hoping you'd shed more light on his backstory. Action is great, but always secondary to characters and plot.

Your writing and descriptions of the action and the atmosphere are solid, vivid and entertaining. Good job. Will this be part of a series? If so, I recommend fleshing out your characters, their relationships, and their individual stories. I did find myself wondering about the Elite Commander, maybe he himself had past complications with his father (or lack thereof) that would contrast nicely as a foil to the good relationship the protagonist had with his dad. If this was a one-shot story, thanks for the read. It was an entertaining escape from an otherwise mundane morning at work.

-'Nos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: