HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequently Asked Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Announcements, Guidelines, and FAQs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wado
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Frequently Asked Questions Reply with quote

FAQs

1) How do I become a Forum Moderator?
Occassionally, members will be asked if they wish to become a moderator. Moderators are appointed by invitation only, and the selection is partly based on how level-headed, ethical, and intelligent you act on the forums. If you PM or email a moderator or the site Admin, or you post on the forum to request you become a moderator, that is almost the most assured way NOT to become a moderator.

2) How do I submit a fan fiction story to HBO?
Click on the following link and read the RTFG (read the fabulous guidelines): http://halosn.bungie.org/misc/fictionrules.html

3) What is Pseudocode, how do I use it to format my stories?
Pseudocode can be used to format your stories and is explained in the Directions for Use of the Fan Fiction Form (scroll down near the bottom of the page).

4) What happened to my HTML?
HTML is stripped out of stories. Use Pseudocode instead.

5) What is taking so long for my story to be posted?
All submitted stories must be approved before they are posted in fan fiction. This can take days or even weeks. Be patient. Warning: If you email and demand your story be posted or complain about your story not being posted in a timely manner, it is at the discretion of the Site Admin to reject your story and not post it at all. You have been warned, this site is not a democracy, if you complain and you then don't get your story posted at all, tough luck, go somewhere else to post your stories.

6) How do I improve the quality of my stories?
First, try writing in an editor that can do a spell check on your story. Second, back up your stories to your local computer in case something goes wrong. Third, and possibly the most important, don't rush the story submission, work many rewrites (drafts) of the story -- for example, a regular writer should have at least three drafts/rewrites of their story before submitting, established writers even more, at least six or seven rewrites. You should notice much better quality with the more rewrites of a story you make. And lastly, make sure to follow the fan fiction guidelines when submitting, including using pseudocode to format the story and using preview to make sure it all looks good.

Please refrain making posts advertising or asking for comments for your story in any of the forums.

7) What do I do if there is a poster that offends me with their posts?
Ask them to clarify what they meant by a post. If they persist, ignore them, most issues resolve themselves if left alone. If they still persist, PM a moderator and continue to IGNORE them -- let the moderators do their jobs. Do not continue to post in reply to posts that offend you, that only makes the job harder on the moderators as they will have to edit or delete more posts in the attempt to clean up the mess and sort through who really are the troublemakers.
Wado
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Additions Reply with quote

8. What is an "Old Skooler"?
You may be chosen to brandish the "Old Skooler" custom tag if you are still around and have published stories on this site from two years or more ago.

The way it works is if this is 2005, then if you have published stories on this site from 2003 or before, you qualify for the tag.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9. How can I get a custom title?

If you are noticed for special purposes, such as outstanding works or distinguishing yourself on the forum, then you may be granted a special, custom title by the site administrator. These custom titles are given out to those who deserve them, in the eyes of the site administrator.

Asking for a custom title is the most certain way of NOT getting one.

There are no ranks besides the Old Skooler custom tag, or the tags of an administrator and/or moderator. Only an administrator, not a moderator, can grant or remove custom titles. Do not ask a moderator, they cannot grant your request, and they will not if you ask.

If you qualify for a special title, you will be asked by the admin whether you would like a custom title.

Last edited by SYSTEM on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10. How can I help a moderator if I'm not one?

Good question. The thing is, if you really want to help a moderator, make them feel as if they aren't needed. By not contributing to off-topicness, flames, or anything of subject matter that would be deemed inappropriate to the site, you can significantly halve the moderator's workloads. By not giving out one-word posts, or keeping your subject matter professional and directly relevant, you can significantly halve a moderator's workload.

It is by far much better for people not to make bad posts than for a moderator to control them. Nobody enjoys the feeling of being constantly watched, and nobody likes parental controls, or the feeling of being hounded.

If there is a flame, however, rather than just tell someone to "bug off," or respond with a witty comment, or at least one you percieve to be, tell a moderator in private.

When you PM a moderator for a report, please include the link or URL to the trouble zone. We will take it from there. Please do not aggravate flames further by adding to them.

Help is one PM away.

Last edited by SYSTEM on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11: I set up a forum/website of my own! Where can I advertise it?

We'd love to see it. Send your application to any of the mods, and we'll check it out. If it relates to HBOFF in some way (writing, Halo theories, for a few) then we'll post it on the announcements.

Forums, websites, and even blogs can also be advertised in your signatures with the use of banners or text. For the convienience and wellbeing of all members, be sure your banner is of modest dimensions. Long signatures can, and will be removed.

Please do not advertise forums, websites or blogs in the forums. They will be removed.

12: My post count isn't counting, or it's counting down!

This is largely due to the fact that many forums within the board do not offer postcounts.

If your postcount has shot down considerably, it is most likely due to moderators deleting of posts/threads. Often threads may be split, removed, edited, or even deleted in areas that do have counts enabled, most likely due to off-topicness or irrelevancy ramping up.

Please do not try to abuse this feature by making extra posts. Many of the older, and perhaps 'wiser' of the members do not care about postcount, and postcounts can easily become a scar when people see that one spammed him/herself up to the thousand post line ("You see that guy? He made a thousand posts of nothing simply so he could reach the top poster. What an ass"), and the administrators can easily reset or edit your count.

There are no special privileges or ranks awarded to those with high counts.

13: My story's comments page has gone wildly off topic! Do something!

In the case your story board has accumulated flames, off-topicness, or spam, if a mod has not already pruned the thread, please send a request, with a detailed description of the off-topic posts, the URL of your comments page to any moderator assigned to that area. They will remove, edit, or delete posts at their discretion.

14: I just wrote a new story! Where can I go brag about it?

As long as the advertisement is kept within one's signature, using a reasonable sized banner or advertisement, this is acceptable. However, merely posting in any of the forums with the idea of promoting your piece without extra grounds, such as a request for help or background information will be removed. If you should see any such advertisements, please inform a moderator and supply the URL of the post, as well as a quote of what they said.

15: How large can my signature be?

This is under review. Definite guidelines are coming up. The engine does not limit the length of the signature, only the amount of coding that can be put inside it.

Let it be known now that a signature bigger than your average post is not usually a mark of intelligence, nor is it a symbol of being valued by the community.

If your signature is too long, one of the moderators will warn you. If you refuse to remove it, your posts will be edited and your signature hidden. If you still do not remove it within a reasonable timeframe, they will be nuked.

Last edited by SYSTEM on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16: I want to get better! Where can I get some advice?

Many of the members here are always happy to help out members who ask for it. They'll be quick to help with comments, give tips, tricks, or hints, but few will be willing to hold your hand and guide you through every step of the way. Improving here is something you must do, others cannot do it for you.

Also remember that you must give your own effort to improving. Other members cannot write the story for you. That is your job as an HBO member.

17: How do I intent? Every time I hit 'tab' in MS word, it disappears in the form!

Please read this article by Dave.
http://hboff.bungie.org/viewtopic.php?t=2785
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18. When are updates?

Updates are usually on Friday now. However, this cannot always be guaranteed. Please do not email Louis Wu or any of the mods if the update is delayed.

Last edited by SYSTEM on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19: What counts as a good 'comment?'

I kinda figured this was known by everyone, but it turns out I'll need to put it here anyway. Please do not make chatline or single-line comments. When you comment on another's story, instead of just slapping down 'I liked it.' or 'I didn't like it.' please take the time to tell why you did. Such criticism is far more useful to any author here, much more so than just "I loved it, great."

On that hand, please, please, puh-leese, try not to use the comments boards to discuss excessively. Doing so inevitably leads to off topicness, and in so, leads to moderator enforcement, which nobody, including moderators, likes.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20. I have a great story I'd like Bungie to make official canon! Will it happen? Will you guys help me on that? Can I publish my fan fiction as a book?

Tough luck, mate. No, yes, and no. I'll answer your questions in reverse order: first of all, fan fiction cannot be published without Bungie's permission. Doing so is plagiarism and plagiarism can get ugly really fast. You've now been warned. If you think my warning is harsh, remember that lawyers, courts, judges, and punitive damages are way worse.

Secondly, anyone here is willing to help you do a better job of your writing so long as you're willing to put down the effort needed to do the job.

Thirdly, I doubt it. Because this is fan fiction and in homage to Bungie, Bungie could simply rip your ideas right off without even giving you credit and you wouldn't be able to do a thing about it except maybe get angry. They own Halo, they own the franchise, the whole thing. If they want to get some fiction published they'll probably ask. But unless you're a published author with experience and a good number of well-selling books under your belt, don't bother holding your breath.

You'll probably suffocate if you do.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21. What is me-tooing and why is it frowned upon?
Me-tooing is simply posting with 'yeah, I agree with this poster' or the like, and not offering anything else worthwhile mentioning. Please do not do this, it gets irritating and isn't useful to anyone. If you have something worthwhile to say, say it. If it isn't, use a PM or fire up MSN messenger, it's free and takes up less of your bandwidth than this site does.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some place where we can chat in real-time?
Yes, there is! You can join our IRC Channel, thanks to the efforts of members UNSC_Trooper and Kabu. Details are included at this thread:

http://hboff.bungie.org/viewtopic.php?t=5266&start=0

Can I get a rotating signature picture?
Yes, you certainly can! We do not support embedded html or iframes in signatures, but if you have web hosting, and possibly the know-how with scripting languages or other tools, there is nothing stopping you from implementing a rotating signature picture that stays within the enforced dimensions. The same is not supported with avatars, unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Announcements, Guidelines, and FAQs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: