HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perspective - Prolouge, Act I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Perspective - Prolouge, Act I Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Perspective - Prolouge, Act I
Posted by The Meep (cbrooks@rivier.edu)
18 June 2010, 1:44 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=The_Meep0618100144411.html
Shurmanator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well written, it reads like a well-done excerpt of prose.
The characters were only lightly developed, which leads room for further exploration in later chapters; good move there. Descritptions were vivid and intriguing as well.

My only real complaint is that it was a bit too short: usually i can only stand reading a couple of paragraphs of fan fiction before having to take a break before returning, but your stories are engaging enough for me to finish them in one shot. With writing this good, I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we'd love to read more.
The Meep

Location: Auburn, Maine E-mail me if there are any nearby LANs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the comment. Glad to see people enjoying reading my pieces as much as I like writing them.

Shurmanator wrote:
My only real complaint is that it was a bit too short...

Funny you should say that... I actually cut off the last third of the story before submitting it, mainly because I was worried the story was getting too long. It was a lot of words talking about a lot of stuff, but with very little actually going on: no action, minimal speech. Nothing but a bunch of dudes sitting in a hallway for a few minutes. When I was proofing it, I felt that readers would tire out and give up before they reached the interesting stuff in the end, so I chopped off that last block of text.
Shurmanator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was your choice and obviously you know better about your writing than I do so if you felt it was too long and droning then by all means, good job cutting it.
Personally I love long sequences of description without any action. Thats generally how all my fan fics are structured, come to think of it... Razz

I was a bit taken aback by this because your other piece that you submitted last week was of good length, so I figured that this was either some sort of reader-approval test or something else.
Nonetheless, again, great job, can't wait for more.
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Shurm said, it was a little short, but it was quite good. There are a number of good personal touches at the beginning to establish Gum as a character, as well as giving us a different - perspective, ahem - on some already well established characters. I'm a little worried that it takes place on the IAC just before the battle of Earth - I hope you don't retread any ground that's too familiar to all of us - but that certainly wasn't a problem for this particular installment.

I quite enjoyed the blurb about Reach at the end. It was a very soldierly assessment that rang true, both to the character and to canon. I always enjoy fics that deal overtly with the emotional impact of a very real threat to human extinction, a point I felt was almost completely missed in the games.

I look forward to where this goes.

- Arthur
The Meep

Location: Auburn, Maine E-mail me if there are any nearby LANs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspective is, really, a total remake of one of my first stories here on HBOFF (before I even knew there was a forum) called "A Marine's Tale". Don't read it, it sucks.

But my point is that I've always liked the background characters. The anonymous, stock-cast, unimportant people who do everything else while Master Chief surfs a Forerunner door into the African jungle. "A Marine's Tale" was my initial take on that - ahem >.> - perspective: the same story as Halo: CE, just told from the perspective of a rank and file marine.

Perspective is the same basic concept: the story of the game from a different point of view. So, you can expect to see events, characters, locations, scenarios etc. from Halo 2 in this series. Trust me when I say I'm not being a lazy bastard and just rehashing Halo 2's story.

I will also say that there is a LOT in Halo 2 that happened off screen. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: