HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Blake Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Blake
Posted by ShroudedCloud (shrouded.cloud@gmail.com)
10 June 2010, 6:45 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=ShroudedClou0610101845181.html
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story won second place in this week's Fic Pick.
The Meep

Location: Auburn, Maine E-mail me if there are any nearby LANs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time this story got a proper comment.

Let's see here... Blake's got issues. You brought elements not found in Halo into Halo lore, and worked them in really well. I liked-- no, loved the imagery in here. Use of terms like "viscera" and well placed metaphors (analogizing alcohol to poison) give this story a very... abstract feel. It makes you feel like you're in Blake's mind, not hovering nearby and watching him as he goes through the story.

On the other hand, it's a tough line to walk. Being too abstract can make the narrative fuzzy. For instance, the battle where Blake is captured and then saved by a Spartan has some nice imagery, but its flow is really choppy: start, stop, cut, time-jump, and so on. You start one conflict and then move on to the next too quickly, forcing the reader to change their perspective in the story and thus breaking their immersion. If you make the narrative flow smoothly - making one event realistically segue into the next without (unnecessary) interruption - you can keep the reader's mind in the story.

I like to use an analogy: imagine the narrative as a railroad track. If the rails are level and straight, one metal beam flowing uninterrupted into the next, a train will glide over the rails smoothly, making for a comfortable ride. However, if there are gaps and interruptions between the rails, the train will bump and jolt, making the ride thoroughly less enjoyable.

On the other other hand, in that same scene, you conveyed a sense of where the Covenant base was located without explicitly saying "It's on a moon." You mentioned that the ODST's "floated" down to the base, which implies a low gravity environment. This is a perfect example of "Show, Don't Tell" done right. Instead of just telling...

"The Covie base was on a moon."

....you implied that fact and advanced the story and added atmosphere by showing. See what I mean?

Overall, a great story, and one I personally think should have made Fic Pic of the Week, TBH.

Some pointers...
- Touch up on your Grammer/Punctuation/Spelling; thoroughly spellcheck and edit your piece
- Mix up your sentences a bit. Use ";" and ":" and "- -" more often. Write one long descriptive sentence, then follow it up right away with a short, directed sentence. Pace the reader with your punctuation. eb was on to something here
- Work on the flow, but keep that abstract feel. Not many people can write a third person limited like that; putting the reader into the mind of the character, even if that mind is an unreliable narrator. Just remember: make the story flow smoothly.
- Use line breaks to split up scene/time changes better. The code is [hr]

Also, fantastic ending. I mean, wow. That's one of the best closers I've ever seen. *shudder*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: