HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noble Team: Origins (Part 4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Noble Team: Origins (Part 4) Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Noble Team: Origins (Part 4)
Posted by Flugel Meister (flugel_mcdougall@hotmail.co.uk)
9 June 2010, 8:31 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Flugel_Meist0609102031251.html
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review is for the series thus far.

First, to get it out of the way, I'll just say that you shouldn't include multiple entries in a single week. Either combine them in a single entry, or split them up over weeks. While I realize that you've had problems and delays in getting these stories up, I mention it for future reference.

To the story itself: I thought it was quite good. I was a little apprehensive at first, since Spartan-based action pieces are relatively common, but you showed a very deft touch here. The scene where the active camo elites pass the active camo Spartans had genuine tension to it. You showed restraint in not delving into an action scene, and it really paid off. That was a great scene.

The reveal of the forerunner ruins wasn't a great surprise, as it's another common fan fiction convention, but the Pelican twist was excellent, again showing you can make some old ideas feel fresh. Even without this addition, the scene was well described and effective. I'm curious as to where you'll take it.

A few problems, though: your protagonists are a bit shallow, character-wise, which is a common flaw to almost all Spartan-based fics. I'm not sure how one would fix this, but as it is, I'm not sure I really care about either of them. Also, their back-and-forth sometimes seemed frivolous, when I don't think it was supposed to be. For instance:

Quote:
"Maybe so, but strictly speaking it's not a...--"

"What?"

"Do you hear that?" Jen said.

"Hear what?"

"That noise."

Jake sighed. "Obviously not, or I wouldn't be asking."

"It's coming from up there."

I don't really picture Spartans talking like that, wasting so much time when a treat was near.

Anyway, it's a great start. This looks like it's your first extended foray here at HBOFF, so welcome to the community. I hope you stick around.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: