HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick, EXTREME Edition, week of March 26, 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Fic Pick, EXTREME Edition, week of March 26, 2010 Reply with quote

And welcome to Gallagher's Fic Pick of the Week, EXTREME Edition!

The two badass stories entered this week were from two regulars actually, and they're both really good. However, there can be only one, and therefore, it is a fight to the death here in this week's Fic Pick of the Week.

We'll start off with CaptainRaspberry's fic, the Knife's Edge: Fool Enough. This piece of fiction was really well written, and within it contained a complicated(but well-thought of and executed extremely well, even more so) plot that has been interesting, original, and very entertaining. It's length is long, but it is not needlessly so, and it accomplishes all of its points without sacrificing details, or giving un-necessary descriptions.

And Harbinger352's fic Out of His League, a one shot, it seems, detailing an experience between Sergeant John Forge and Ellen Anders. Like Raspberry said in his humourous review of the piece, it deals with emotion in a non-cheesy, non-angsty way. The fight scene was, again, described in a way that didn't sacrifice details but it did not use un-necessary points and descriptions (A way of writing that I constantly suffer from). And the ending was good and humourous, which is always a plus for me.

In the end, it came down to what kept me interested and locked in for the piece, and it was hard, since both of these pieces are really great.

JUDGING TIME

"Round one, fight!" - Shao Kahn

DETAILS: Both fics presented their stories, plots, and scenes with moderate details. Not confusing, not overwhealming, and not overbearing. Both did a great job in this detail

WINNER: TIE

Round two, fight!" - Shao Kahn

USE OF CODE AND GRAMMAR: I'm young and somewhat inexperienced when it comes to grammar and spell checking, but from the readings I did of these two pieces, I didn't see any mistake from either one. That's a great job on both of their parts.

WINNER: TIE

"Final round, fight!" - Shao Kahn

SENSIBILITY, CHARACTERS, AND SETTING: Raspberry's fic is on a colony world that is war-torn, with its character presented with a grim outlook, save for a few. Harb's is on a ship's mess hall (The exact location is not specificed, but again, that's not relevant to the story, kudos for using just what you needed to explain to us where they were) between two established characters, John Forge and Ellen Anders. While the fight between the Yoonies and the Insurrectionists is somewhat hard to follow given how close the Covenant Wars just ended, the fact that a Marine soldier wouldn't follow the orders of an experienced Marine Sergeant telling him to back off of a high-risk civilian scientist didn't really jive with me, and that being the only detraction from the story itself. In the end, that's what gave the winner the upper hand in this round.

WINNER: CaptainRaspberry.

AND NOW, FOR THE AWESOME MEDALS:

For Runner-Up, Head Crusher, and all around Obliterator, the award goes to Harbinger352! Great job on the fic, and I really can't wait to see what you're going to do with that idea you mentioned in the IRC chat.

And for the Robotic Nut Disemboweler and Winner of this Week's Fic Pick is CaptainRaspberry! Great job on the fic, and I want to see more from you.

Stay classy, HBOFF. Very Happy

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
CaptainRaspberry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, way to go all out, Gallagher! Where did those banners come from?

And good job on the review. As soon as I read Harbinger's piece, I knew it was going to be a tough call.

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
Harbringer352

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, man, that was an AWESOME FIC PICK!!
Those banners were sick.
Haha, and good job, Captain.
*high five*
Cool
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made them, Raspberry, and thanks guys! You two made it hard. Very Happy

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: