HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Thee it Screams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: For Thee it Screams Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

For Thee it Screams
Posted by Kaiyo no Hime (hitokiri_hime@yahoo.com)
26 January 2010, 10:07 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Kaiyo_no_Him0126102207281.html
Shurmanator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to describe this story, in my opinion, would be 'well written, but periodically flawed.'
Short pre-death monologues from the perspective of a helljumper are nothing new, but the imagery and metaphors here were really well done. These small little descriptive passages made me really enjoy the story.
But then it was interrupted by such strange errors. Missed capitalizations here, run-on sentences there, missed punctuations... etc.

Quote:
Everything glower red

That was one of the worst typos. Its amazing what one letter can do... it totally changes the meaning of the sentence, and at such a crucial point in the story, it really distracts from the overall greatness of the piece. Honestly, when comparing silly mistakes like that to the great metahpors and descriptions in the story, it almost seems like two people with completely varying talents wrote this.
But its still very good... just needs work on the small grammatical details.
Kaiyo No Hime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I am sorry I missed that. I'm afraid my typing has been a bit... lacking since I broke and sprained several fingers in an accident recently. My computer has stopped even trying to point out some of the more obvious mistakes, it seems.

The run on sentences, well, I had to stretch the story length wise to get it accepted onto this site. That is the reason for the parsing.
Shurmanator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typing with a handicap? That's some dedication. Smile

Anyway, some of them are sentence structure mistakes rather than spelling, or tense errors, so computers usually don't pick up on those.
I really shouldn't be one to talk, considering I have never written a story without at least three typos, but I have a feeling that the shortness of your story made a few typos stand out more. Not that short stories are bad though, just that its easier to notice a few mistakes in them.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Schurm here, more or less. The idea's been done before, but you executed it well. There were enough GPS errors to be distracting, but this was still good. The bit about never lying to his mother was a very nice touch, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: