HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo: Origins of Fate Chapter 1 A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Halo: Origins of Fate Chapter 1 A1 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Halo: Origins of Fate Chapter 1 A1
Posted by Ren_or_Robotlouisstevenson (renthedragon@yahoo.com)
3 December 2009, 10:15 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Ren_or_Robot1203092215441.html
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do not have to read this if you don't want to. Do not whine for me trying to mix two damn good Genres together.

Then that tells me you really only want to hear supportive criticism and not constructive. But I'm going to drop some for you.

I think the story is okay. Your best thing out of this so far is your timestamps. I'm probably going to follow the same format as you.

Otherwise, break up your paragraphs. If you take a look, it looks like a wall of text at points. It was hard for me to read. Really hard. No one will want to read it if it looks like a wall. Next time you submit, if you do, make sure to keep your paragraphs broken up.[/quote]

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
Jake Trommer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do not have to read this if you don't want to. Do not whine for me trying to mix two damn good Genres together.

Some would argue that point, but I'm just gonna let you know that as soon as I read "furries", I closed the tab. I'm willing to bet a few others did the same.
Ren_or_Robotlouisstenson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, I'll accept constructive criticism
Ren_or_Robotlouisstenson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Trommer wrote:
Quote:

Some would argue that point, but I'm just gonna let you know that as soon as I read "furries", I closed the tab. I'm willing to bet a few others did the same.

Like I said, You don't have to read it
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ren_or_Robotlouisstenson wrote:

And there's nothing to suggest he did - he certainly didn't review the story itself, simply pointed out that it's unlikely to win fans here.

Also, this:

Quote:
Do not whine for me trying to mix two damn good Genres together.

That is, I should warn you, an incredibly subjective (and Somewhat Unconventionally capitalised) description of the furry genre.

Now for the story itself - it could certainly be worse, but not much. It suffers profusely from:

• wall of text syndrome
  • seemingly random capitalisation
  • incredibly poor and repetitive sentence construction
  • atrocious grammar and spelling with sentences leaking into each other
  • no formatting to speak of
  • lazy changes of tense where it flips from the past to the present tense
  • lots of apostrophe molestation
  • and a Mary Sue character (this can be spotted from a mile off: lines like "Max was recommended into the 105th by a SPARTAN, having demonstrated skills that you wouldn't find in many new marines" are red flags and warning sirens)

Overall, although I commend you for trying something new, its execution leaves a lot to be desired. Your best bet would be to scrap what you've already written and rewrite it - and this time, acquire the services of an editor/beta reader.
Ren_or_Robotlouisstenson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eb4642 wrote:
Ren_or_Robotlouisstenson wrote:

And there's nothing to suggest he did - he certainly didn't review the story itself, simply pointed out that it's unlikely to win fans here.

Also, this:

Quote:
Do not whine for me trying to mix two damn good Genres together.

That is, I should warn you, an incredibly subjective (and Somewhat Unconventionally capitalised) description of the furry genre.

Now for the story itself - it could certainly be worse, but not much. It suffers profusely from:

• wall of text syndrome
  • seemingly random capitalisation
  • incredibly poor and repetitive sentence construction
  • atrocious grammar and spelling with sentences leaking into each other
  • no formatting to speak of
  • lazy changes of tense where it flips from the past to the present tense
  • lots of apostrophe molestation
  • and a Mary Sue character (this can be spotted from a mile off: lines like "Max was recommended into the 105th by a SPARTAN, having demonstrated skills that you wouldn't find in many new marines" are red flags and warning sirens)

Overall, although I commend you for trying something new, its execution leaves a lot to be desired. Your best bet would be to scrap what you've already written and rewrite it - and this time, acquire the services of an editor/beta reader.

Makes me wish they had an edit button for your posted stories here.
I'll definitely take it and edit it though, to be honest, Most of my grammar skills have been used for roleplaying, I should take time to Really work on it.

And it really does not surprise me that many people here don't think much of the furry genre, We're frowned upon by many communities. Just wish that others could see that We're NOT all about smut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: