HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Delayed) Fic Pick of the Month - November 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: (Delayed) Fic Pick of the Month - November 2009 Reply with quote

Considering we're a month behind on Fic Picks, I'll briefly run through the last four weeks' stuff so we're all up to date for tomorrow's drop.

For brevity and speed, I'll run through the best submission of each week and then make an entirely subjective and not-to-be-trusted decision of the best submission we had in November. Then, tomorrow (hopefully hint hint) the normal cycle of weekly fic picks will resume. Smile

Week ending 6 November
Fic Pick: Naira's Shipwreck - Ch 1 by Society for the Ancients

This piece, coming from a first-time submitter, is surprisingly good. As kabu said in its reviews thread, it does feel (rather regularly) overwrought. However, although it's way to early to pass judgement on the plot, everything here seems to be in place for a good series.

Week ending 13 November
Fic Pick: Halo: Acheron by Geoffrey Langland

All the metrics say this should be a terrible piece: it's a crossover, from a first-time submitter, with the largely-redundant Halo: The Curse of Something Very Nasty-form title.

All of my fears, however, were blown away as soon as I began reading. The plotting and pacing is superb, and the characterisation is dead-on - especially the Master Chief character, which (I know from personal experience) is absolutely horrendous to nail, especially in a stream-of-consciousness perspective.

I suppose it owes part of its excellence to the fact that, as Dave would put it, Halo = (dy/dx) Aliens. However, this does not change the fact that it is an utterly magnificent contribution from a first-time author, especially for a crossover.

Your next challenge, Mr. Langland, is to write an uber-crossover between Halo, Doctor Who, The Love Boat, Pride and Prejudice and Thomas the Tank Engine. Razz

Week ending 20 November
Fic Pick: Dustoff - From Tulane by Capt. Raspberry

This was a tough one. Several great pieces were knocked out of the running by two masterful submissions from seasoned regulars.

In the end (and after extensive brain-ticking) I awarded the Pick for this week to the tremendous finale of From Tulane, which just pipped JD's Null and Void to the top spot. Both are definitely worth reading, although they're entirely different beasts.

For this reason, From Tulane is getting the Pick, and Null and Void is getting an Honourable Mention for this week. Don't let this place any bearings on which ones you read: read them both. They're both of an extraordinarily high standard.

I take my hat off to both you gentlemen for making this an incredibly hard decision.

Week ending 27 November
Fic Pick: In Which Nothing Explodes - A 'Bad Days' Story by kabu

kabu has again provided us with an entertaining, not-too-serious and light-hearted comedy that reminds us, after the hard-hitting grimness of From Tulane, that there are some nice things about war... and running into small, purple, floating, unbearably cute things.

This last week had a rather short payload, and the other piece was also quite good, but kabu's just shone out as particularly good this week - although it certainly has filler syndrome, to some extent, it's good filler.

The Best of the Rest

And finally, the special, once-in-a-lifetime never-again Fic Pick of the Month...
...is a three way tie: Dustoff: From Tulane, Null and Void and Acheron all win this specially-created title.

Why? Well, Acheron was simply excellent considering what it was: a crossover from a first-time author. The characters were strong, the writing was excellent, and it was a very well-rounded first submission.

From Tulane and Null, on the other hand, have a lot in common despite being very different pieces. Both are beautifully executed (although considering the calibre of these two authors, I'd expect nothing less); both are powerful and emotionally hard-hitting; both have endings that just round the piece (and, in Tulane's case, the series) off perfectly.

So, there you have it: I've tried to be succinct, and the fact we're so behind on Picks makes this rather oversized. Hopefully, normal service resumes tomorrow...

Once again, congratulations to the winners and keep writing!
J. D. Ford

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent summation, eb. In fact, I'm a little shocked you managed to fit all that into one relatively short post. You've masterfully Picked a whole month in half as many words as it takes the rest of us to review a single week!

Well done, and my personal congrats to the winners (except myself of course...as that would be "oddly self-serving").

I'll definitely be playing catch-up on reads/comments this coming week.

~J. D.
CaptainRaspberry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with J.D., and instead choose to say congratulations to all the winners except myself. I'm impressed you were able to manage it, eb. It's a very thorough judgment in a tiny, tiny space.

eb4642 wrote:
Your next challenge, Mr. Langland, is to write an uber-crossover between Halo, Doctor Who, The Love Boat, Pride and Prejudice and Thomas the Tank Engine.

I would read that, on the condition that it instead be Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. And using the Flood as zombies is cheating.

And, might I just add, "Holy shit, holy shit, I just beat J.D. and kabu both at once HAHAHAHA THE WORLD IS MINE NOW, BITCHES!!!"

Sorry, it's kinda hard to keep my ego down right now.

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
J. D. Ford

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sic transit gloria. Remember that. Razz

~J. D.
CaptainRaspberry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. D. Ford wrote:
Sic transit gloria. Remember that. Razz

~J. D.

More like memento mori, but same message.

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to congratulate all the winners, including myself. Especially myself. Go me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww... Only another honorable mention? Wink
I'm not entirely sure if I should continue the AOI here; as I go along, it's becoming less and less Halo, the latest chapter I'm working on (chapter 15) gives an ambitious name to the fascist Blue government.
It was so tempting to call it the UNSC, but I'm planning to get this baby published eventually, and I don't want to get my ass sued by Bungie for using their canon.

Oh well.
*Goes to upload polished versions of chapters 4 and 5 for this week's selection*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: