HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Which Nothing Explodes - A 'Bad Days' Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: In Which Nothing Explodes - A 'Bad Days' Story Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

In Which Nothing Explodes - A 'Bad Days' Story
Posted by kabu (will36@gmail.com)
27 November 2009, 3:49 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=kabu1127090349191.html
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a little longer than I expected to read this, and as usual, it's quality stuff.

I'm particularly fond of the title here, and the chit-chat in the 'Hog was entertaining. Gabe's talk of sex with a Spartan sounds appropriately terrifying, as well. I enjoyed your handling of the Engineer, too.

Did you send me the first half of this story before, though? The first half read awful familiarly. Didn't enjoy it any less for it, though.

Overall, good work here, kabu. Wink
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably sent you the first half a month or so ago.

I wrote the rough draft of the first half in August, then hit writers' block when ODST stole my plot (damn you bungie!) so I held off on this for a while.

This one is a bit too silly and neat for my taste, but I still enjoyed writing it. I hope to write something a bit more substantial soon.
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that might have been my only complaint here. This read like a bit of a filler piece. It was good, but it was shorter and nothing much happened. It didn't detract from the story at all, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kr-1426 wrote:
Yeah, that might have been my only complaint here. This read like a bit of a filler piece. It was good, but it was shorter and nothing much happened. It didn't detract from the story at all, though.

I completely agree. It was total garbage.

SHAAAME.

It would be interesting if the Engineer became a recurring character too. Not to swell your dramatis personae a lot, but I think you could probably squeeze a few gags out of 'im.

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
Jake Trommer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me so long to get to this---anyway,this is filled with your usual dry fare. Your AI character is hilarious, and I literally lol'ed when I read the bit about Diana and Gabe doing it. I think it's a shame the Engineer won't be coming back, but great work overall.
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my prolonged absence, guys. I swear, I've been here the whole time.

Anyway, great installment, kabu. A lot of description here, which we don't always see from you. It was quite beautiful. You describe the woods in winter time like one who is intimately familiar with the sight. Being Canadian, I share your affinity for a wintry forest. I loved how you let us see it.

The idle banter about Gabe sexing up a Spartan chick was appropriately hilarious and very human. One must struggle to get around the physics of such an act (isn't that what you're studying?) It served as a good reminder that no matter what the danger or deprivation, men will always be fixated on sex.

The reveal of the engineer was well handled too. The unusual place that engineers play in canon fit very well the oddity of your story and general style. This strange little creature fixing the Marines' warthog, offering a friendly greeting, and then floating away seemed like a perfectly natural thing to happen in this story, despite its obvious absurdity.

GPS was mostly perfect, though a few times you used a capital letter when identifying a speaker (ie: "Hi," He said.) Other than that, good.

As usual, your story enterained me and your style delighted me. Great job.

- Arthur
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Force equals mass times acceleration, and pressure equals force per meter squared. A spartan weighs a thousand pounds and likely has a good deal of... acceleration. ^.^

I've actually been working a bit of "winter forest" into my stories lately -- though oddly enough, I'm more familiar with summer/autumn forest. Mainly I'm trying to feel how a planet with a blue-white sun would look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: