HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo: BlackWatch - Prologue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Halo: BlackWatch - Prologue Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Halo: BlackWatch - Prologue
Posted by chimeraNATOR (chimeraNATOR)
18 October 2009, 6:34 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=chimeraNATOR1018091834011.html
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to HBOFF! For a newcomer here, you've got a pretty solid handle on writing, it seems. Better than a lot of what we get. Your GPS (grammar, punctuation, and spelling) is solid, and your formatting's good, too. You're off to a good start.

There's some stuff to work on, of course. The first is your tense: I know it's a stylistic choice to write in present tense, and you did a good job keeping it consistent, but it's still a bit weird to read. If you can keep it consistent and have a good reason for doing so, I won't complain, though.

The second is your marines: for any kind of special ops, or even soldiers in general, they're far too wordy. Soldiers generally try to say as much as they can in as few words as possible. For example,
Quote:
"Dagger One, this is Saber One. We're in position and ready to move in on your signal, over."

might be shortened to
Quote:
"Dagger One, Saber One. In position and ready on your signal, over."

Or
Quote:
"Saber One, this is Dagger One, we are en route to the encampment and will make hard contact momentarily. You may now begin your assault, over."

might be
Quote:
"Saber One, Dagger One is en route. Hard contact imminent."

with the whole last sentence replaced with a simple command such as 'Go' or Take'.

Your marines also don't really quite exist as characters yet, either. We know nothing about them except they're special ops soldiers, and thta little bit about the sergeant at the end. This just seems like a teaser, though, so I'm sure we'll get more. Make sure to work on that, though.

Also, rockets have backblast. Firing from a car window like that would've fried the driver. Wink

These last two things are nitpicky and some folks don't care about them, but they bug me personally. First is author's notes: it makes a story look unprofessional, and you could write that kind of stuff here. The second is using 'Halo' in the title of your piece. This is a Halo fanfic site, of course it's gonna be a Halo fic! Razz

And with that, I'm done. Welcome again to HBOFF, and I hope you stick around and keep writing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kr covered the points I wanted to make, but I want to hammer out that for a first time writer here you did a very good job with GPS and formatting. That's probably one of the biggest pet peeves of the writers here, and you nailed it on the head IMHO. Good job, and follow kr's advice; you'll go far here.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
chimeraNATOR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys, and I agree with you that my marines are a bit long winded Laughing. About the rocket launcher; yeah you're right. I'll keep your tips in mind, thanks.
spartan shot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all. I'm relatively new to writing fanfic as well. You've got a good story so far. I noticed your using Planet Sera as a setting. If you got a Gears of War and Halo mix planned then I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: