HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week (October 9)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, forget what I said above if it sounded cocky or ignorant; I didn't really intend it to. I'll just leave posting here, maybe read and comment of a few other fics, learn how I could improve from them, and start up a new series in the future.

I don't really want to "kill the babies", because there are some genuine readers who actually like them, who would be put out after reading near thirty parts of Insurrection to have it cancelled.

Sorry for causing trouble, I need to learn to handle criticism better I suppose.
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I agree with completely scrapping the WM award... but then again, I wouldn't, since I invented it Wink

I say certainly cut back on its use - it's by no means compulsory to award it every week - and only award it for things that are very definitely Wang Monster class. Namely, those that are so awful or otherwise bizarre it becomes quite obvious they probably weren't meant to be taken seriously... or it becomes impossible to take it seriously.

I think we all agree that while both of Wolverfrog's pieces weren't too much cop, they weren't terrible, and certainly not WM-award worthy.

So, I propose it's kept for the weirdest of the worst in the future - not necessarily the worst of the worst, simply because the worst of the worst aren't funny or entertaining for the wrong reasons. They commit the worst crime of all: dullness.

Think of it like this: if you have a rubbish car that's so rubbish it has some character to it, that's like MC and the Wang Monster, and thus deserving of the award, because you develop an emotional attachment to it. The worst of the worst is kind of like a Nissan Sunny or Morris Marina.

I'm not saying that Wolverfrog's submissions fall into either category: however, the Wang Monster Award was never designed simply as a guage of the "worst of the week".

That said, Dave mentioned developing some guidelines for the Fic Pick, which seems like a very good idea from here. kr has said he'll work on a draft and we'll get the community to hammer around it.

Edit: Well, Wolverfrog, thanks for being reasonable in the end. One suggestion I would make is that when you start again, you do one-shots and short (i.e. 2 or 3 part series) so the plot isn't such an issue, and neither is it such an issue if you have to kill the baby.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverfrog wrote:
Ah, forget what I said above if it sounded cocky or ignorant; I didn't really intend it to. I'll just leave posting here, maybe read and comment of a few other fics, learn how I could improve from them, and start up a new series in the future.

It's up to you, but community itself is actually a very valuable resource for this.

Quote:
I don't really want to "kill the babies", because there are some genuine readers who actually like them, who would be put out after reading near thirty parts of Insurrection to have it cancelled.

This is also going to be up to you, and if you have a particular audience that you want to market your work towards and what you have at the moment sells, then by all means keep it for that particular audience.

Nevertheless, what I tell everyone is to remember that if an idea has soured for another audience, pouring more effort into it will rarely save it: nothing is sacred, and the sooner you are able to progress and move onto more things, the sooner you're able to get to an idea that isn't going to hobble you with older ideas or old plans, and the better you'll be for it. If you know that you have a particular audience that wants you to keep doing what you are doing, but know that what that is won't score well over here, then the worst thing you could do would be to attempt a compromise; this rarely goes over well. One project, one audience. When you're done with that, move onto the next or even start a separate one, but never attempt to change your goals for a project once it has been started.

Quote:
Sorry for causing trouble, I need to learn to handle criticism better I suppose.

Just relax, and don't be so hard on yourself. A good way to go about establishing this kind of mindset is to think of HBOFF as something of a testing area for developing your skills, and that you're going about this by trial-and-error, because that will usually be the case. Now is the time you'll want to try out wacky things and make mistakes, because you never know what you might come up with.

I apologize to anyone I have not offended yet. I will get to you shortly.
Codyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great review!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: