HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week (July 24)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Fic Pick of the Week (July 24) Reply with quote

Even though we had five submissions this week, three of them were for the same series, so we really had only three authors competing for this weekís Pick. All three were excellent. All three had good pacing, well written dialogue and intriguing plots. For the first time since I can remember, I have no complaints about anythingóexcept that Iíve got to pick a winner among three worthy stories. Iím only half serious, of course. A batch of high quality stories does make it hard to pick a winner, but I wouldnít want it any other way.

Since there are only three authors, I picked a winner and an honorable mention. No second place this week.

Honorable Mention: Castaways by jameson9101322

When I saw three submissions in a single week for the same series from a writer Iíd never heard of, I expected the worstóand I bet I wasnít the only one. I certainly did not expect snappy dialogue, wry humor and seemingly effortless exposition. To understand how well written this was, you have to appreciate how painfully boring it could have been. Think about it: three chapters describing the Master Chief waking from cryo, walking around a lifeless planet, finding a small home and eventually entering a deserted and unremarkable city. Sure, the chapters are short and there is a bit of a surprise at the end, but even so, my hatís off to you, Jameson.

Strengths: Crisp, flowing dialogue. He stretches the personalities of the Chief and Cortana to the brink of believability time and again without ever crossing the lineónot that Iíd mind if he did.

Weaknesses: Nothing to complain about so far, unless you hate short chapters.

Final thoughts: Jameson is obviously a talented and experienced writer. I hope he (Iím assuming he) sticks around.

Fic Pick of the Week: Vestal Sins: Chapter 4: Cedar Gables by Arthur Wellesley

Arthur, Iíve been reading your stuff for years and itís always been good, but this story is something else. Youíve found a whole new gear. I had not been following this series, but since I was doing the Pick this week I had to go back to the previous chapters to find out what was going on. Thereís a lot going on and itís all good. This story pulled me right in and didnít let go. Youíve found a character you can really sink your teeth into and Iím sure you know it.

I was most impressed by: Character development. Whether itís something as big as Eyalís guilt about the war or as small as his need to savor a cup of juice, your attention to detail makes the characters jump off the page.

Why should I read it? This is fan fiction at its best. Torrid pacing. Gripping dialogue. Excellent plotting. Stories this good arenít usually free, so why shouldnít you read it?

Final thoughts: Hey Arthur, why donít you give me something to work with next time? Without something to complain about, I sound like a gushing idiot.

I donít want to end this without mentioning Not what you think it is by4642 Elitist Bastard. This chapter was short, but also well written and effective. Most weeks it would have earned a place on the podium. Take the time to check it out. It will only take a couple of minutes to read and I promise you wonít be disappointed.

That wraps this week, and itís almost embarrassing. I wanted to complain, to find fault, to be more critical, but did you see what I had to work with? I'm only human.

C.T Clown
Phśdrus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She: http://jameson9101322.deviantart.com/
She's on my watch list. Wink
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I can live with a passing mention Wink

Congratulations to Jameson, and to Arthur (of course).
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Chuckles. You are too kind Wink

Congrats to Jameson, as well. Looks like I'll be taking a look at Castaway when I get some free time.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: