HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bright Green Dot: Beware of Cat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: The Bright Green Dot: Beware of Cat Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

The Bright Green Dot: Beware of Cat
Posted by 4642 Elitist Bastard (4642eb@googlemail.com)
10 July 2009, 10:37 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=4642_Elitist0710091037391.html
Jake Trommer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work as always, eb. I especially loved the list of Halo survivors whose stories have never been told. Very Happy
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONESY! SHE'S ALIVE!

Anyway, aside from the Asian/Indian/Pakistani hullabaloo (and I could have stood for it to be a bit longer), I think this is great. Like, really, really great. Once again, you give a unique and realistic portrayal of the Chief while getting into Floyd's head really well, and you have a wonderful writing style. I love how you ended up breaking him down in the end. I'm really bad at writing reviews and I wish this could be longer, so let me just say that your stuff is always a great pleasure to read.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was pretty good, eb, though I have some reservations. As I've said, I have quite enjoyed your characterization of the Chief as damaged and neurotic. Aside from his note in the first chapter, it has always been done well and brings the Chief down to a far more human level than we saw in the games. Your decision to resolve some of this inner conflict in the final chapter was probably the correct one, but I think you could have done it more effectively. First off, it was pretty short and bare. Using the cat as their common link was a nice touch, but you probably could have done more. Secondly, this:

Quote:
"How did you get off Halo?" he asked.

"SSH!" I hissed. The Chief's eyes widened, and he clapped his hand to his mouth.

brought back memories of the note, presenting the Chief almost as a teenager. He accidentally revealed highly classified information? He "clapper his hand to his mouth?" This hardly sits right with the Chief's image.

I also take some issue with the final scene. Floyd is a well-off novelist? Humans and Elites are reconciled to the point where Elite students frequent libraries in San Francisco? It all seemed a little too rosy for me, considering the blow humanity has just suffered.

I hate to sound like a negative nancy. I've been very impressed by your writing skills, and I continue to be here. I just think that this ending doesn't do justice to the story you have crafted.

Ah well. Just my two cents. I have very much enjoyed this series, and look forward to what's coming next.

- Arthur
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I suppose you can't please everyone Smile

It is rather bony, and I'm not particularly fond of the ending. The 'clapping hand to mouth' thing also needs fixing... overall, I think the chapter was one of the better ones, but I know there are various holes and dips that decrease the overall quality.

Once I do the nicely-typeset version, I'll have fixed it. Thanks for the critique Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: