HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brief Forerunner History
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Brief Forerunner History Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Brief Forerunner History
Posted by 121 Guilty-Weezel
8 December 2004, 4:28 PM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=121_guilty-w.1208041628141.html
Phædrus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You really thought this out thouroghly didn't you? Jillybean writes the sequels and you write the prequels. There were two major spelling mistakes that I found but I'll leave it up to MCC and Dave Luck to point those out. But this is perhaps the most comprehensive history of the Forunner ever to be made outside of Bungie. 10/10.
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...this is pretty good. I did like it, but there were plot issues with the story that I saw.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the Code.

Personally, I think that someone thinking over this and presenting their thoughts in great, but, I'm more of a story person. I don't like things presented in this fashion. It just seems too list-like.

I think that this could have been thought out further. If you would have complied all this stuff and just sat down and thought it over more, it could have been more thorough and in-depth.
As for the plot, well, it goes against what we know (not 100%, but are pretty sure of). It just doesn't make sense with what we have information on. Though, I do like the idea that Humans are decendants of the Forerunner.

Overall, a good try, and it was alright, but, next time, develop things more, and don't try to take on such a large thing as your first assignment. If you have any questions, you can PM me (I feel like I'm gonna start saying that more often; for some reason).
Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: adfs Reply with quote

Man, screw the code on this one. This was great. It makes perfect sense. I wonder in the game if we really are teh Forerunners. Well sweet Story.
#179/1204
"Studying Computer Information Systems (That's Programming for you retards out there)"
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. You have a good imagination. This sort of listing was done in the appendices of Tolkien's Return of the King novel. So I think it is legit. That said, I agree with MCC that it would have been more engrossing if it had been in a story. But hey, some loved it this way and you can't please everyone.

C.T. Clown
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is different. Agree with that I will.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou, Yoda
The Arbitress
She Devil

Location: Discussing high energy astrophysics with The Arbiter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be cool if we were descendants of the forerunners, though it would be a little odd...the covies worship the forerunners, and are killing us...so would that mean that they are killing their gods? and...would they worship us if they found out...odd. anyway, chuckles, you read the appendacies? thats awsome! i tried, but failed. im now reading the silmarillion, which is weird, because to most people, its way more boring than the appendacies, but i find it fascinating. its a lot like this story. background info on a huge story. anyway, i thought it was great. if this is at all right with the actual halo universe, it would explain alot. stupid overwarring covies...and god i hate the flood.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have some different views on how Halo-verse's past went.

I believe that the Forerunner came upon the Flood. Found them. Then, they decided to study them. Hence, the earlier instillations [like that in the atmosphere of Threshold (suspended from a structure that I wish I knew more about)] were not that large, because things were in small numbers and for study, not destruction.
But, then I think the Flood started getting out of hand, and so the Forerunner constructed the Halos to contain them and provide a last option. Then, after that, the Flood were attacking en mass; a total nightmare.
Then "After every strategic advantage had been exausted, they actived the Halos. Everything in three radii of the galactic center died, as planned."
That't how I see it.

But, there is one more thing I would like to speculate upon.
I know that most [of not all] of those of us here are familiar with the Genesis Flood story.
We all know that Bungie likes to use that kind of stuff, so:

The Flood. Something that was capable of destroying [consuming] all life.
The Ark. The vessel built to get a limited amount of beings through the flood.

Now, we know that the Flood are in Halo. And now, we know that the ancient Forerunner ship that was formerly powering High Charity is called the Ark. Kind of a big coincidence wouldn't you say?
Perhaps, that ship was the one place that sentients could survive the Flood (or the Halos' blast radius).
Interesting to think about, for sure.
The Arbitress
She Devil

Location: Discussing high energy astrophysics with The Arbiter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does bring up a good point...
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Rampant Musings Reply with quote

yeah nice MCC but i beleive that The Flood 'virus' was created by the Forerunner. I found this nice article that backs up this theory in the Story Elements, The Flood section of the HBO site. Charles George says
Quote:
Playing through level 5, Assault on the control room I noticed Cortana said something that kind of caught my ear. She called Halo a fortress world. With a little help from Google I learned that a "Fortress world" is also a model for future earth. More info can be found here:
http://www.hf.caltech.edu/whichworld/explore/scenarios/scenfw_top.html

Basically a fortress world is the a world where the rich and poor are extremely segrated and constantly at war. The world is overcrowded, filled with Disease and lacking in the food and natural resources to feed it's ever growing population. In this world a few nations grow excessively rich and territorial, like the US (except for the whole military forced isolation thing Wink.

My Bungie anylisis skills arent that great, but I'll give it a shot. Halo is a fortress world, a world where the rich forced themselves into fortress areas and try to keep out the poor of the world looking for the respite. In order to control the poor they released the flood virus into their population, perhaps to make them subservient (notice how the flood seem to serve a central intelligence). But when the experiment went horribly wrong the Fore runnner converted the Halo's into the giant bombs that we play on. They built the libraries on each Halo in an attempt to contain the flood through research, but they failed and eventually the flood won the day.

what do you think?
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have read that. As well as most of the HBO Halo Story Page.

I find that plausible, but for some reason, some of the stuff that the Forerunner left behind just doesn't add up to that.

For instance; why would they build structures in the atmosphere of the gas giant first? Why not just the rings?
Also, if you listen thoroughly to the special edition DVD and stuff, as well as the making of Halo 2 vid (E3 03 demo version), they both have some interesting bits in there that could be taken to a certain theory.

For now, though, much of this is speculation. And we will continue to do so.
I've been real tempted to go to the HBO forums at times, but after looking at things for just a few minutes, things go way to fast and are a tad to unorderly for me. I might not be able to keep up with all of it. But, I may have to try it one day.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm yeah

MC's Cousin wrote:
I find that plausible, but for some reason, some of the stuff that the Forerunner left behind just doesn't add up to that.
For instance; why would they build structures in the atmosphere of the gas giant first? Why not just the rings?
Yes but it makes for good discussion Very Happy

AND

MC's Cousin wrote:
Also, if you listen thoroughly to the special edition DVD and stuff, as well as the making of Halo 2 vid (E3 03 demo version), they both have some interesting bits in there that could be taken to a certain theory.
what parts of the DVD? have been watching parts, but didn't watch it all
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm yeah

MC's Cousin wrote:
Yes but it makes for good discussion Very Happy
AND
MC's Cousin wrote:
what parts of the DVD? have been watching parts, but didn't watch it all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: