HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan Fic Pick of the Week for July 3, 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Fan Fic Pick of the Week for July 3, 2009 Reply with quote

In JD's absence, I'm taking the Fic Pick this week... so here goes...

An interesting payload this week: there was quite a clear line between the good and the bad, and two pieces in particular were magnificent, even by their authors' high standards. I was also surprised, both pleasantly and nastily, by various pieces.

The Slush Pile

Halo: Seed of Orion (Prologue) by Wolferfrog
This started promisingly, but it quickly deteriorated into sloppy GPS, canon inconsistencies, and what sounded like an episode of EastEnders transplanted messily in to twenty-sixth century Manchester. For example, the UNSC is the United Nations Space Command, not Corps, and by the twenty-sixth century I doubt the pound sterling would still be in use. The UN Credit appears to be the primary form of currency.

The Great Schism Part I by Jack Lang
This failed to get me interested, I'm afraid: it suffers from Wall of Text syndrome somewhat intermittently, and I am not a fan of the writing style. That said, it could be worse, so keep trying and you'll improve.

Battle of Hazmeo: Part 1 by benzoe590
With this one, I think it's probably easiest if I just show you what I scribbled in my notebook for this particular submission.

Wolf by Kaiyo no Hime
I was pleasantly surprised by this. This author has only submitted once before, and both times the quality has been excellent. I know that if I was being especially pedantic, I'd point out that you should really be calling them class III or IV SPARTAN-IIs, but that's only a minor deviation from canon, which I can forgive. Brilliant job, and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

Halo Clone Wars: Chapter 12 by Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
I haven't really been following this series, as it's not the sort of thing I usually read. However, it's high-quality stuff: your plot is solid, characters are strong, and the internal monologue at the beginning is very good. That said, for me, it doesn't quite hit the mark: nevertheless, very well done.

Tomorrow by A Halo Fan...natic (aka Phædrus)
I really liked this. It's wonderfully poignant, without bordering on melodrama. The questionable ethics and the sympathy you feel for the protagonist project a melancholy feel, but it's not sickening. Technically, I should be bashing you for formatting issues, but it's so excellent I've decided I don't give a shit about them.

Vestal Sins: Chapter 3: Lanced by Arthur Wellesley
Arthur, I am truly shocked and appalled by this instalment. You allowed two typos to slip in.

Quote:
"So the historical record for a whole damn town just fell down a fucking hole?" Eyal asked, exasperated. "And the Militia keeps circling its wagons every time I ask about Cedar Gables. Their commander told me to get loss,

Eyal hesitated as he studied the man before him. Alexander Lansing had an imposing stature, standing at perhaps six foot two inches tall and, despite his age of 56, he retained the broad shoulders and slim waste of his soldiering days.

I'm incredibly disappointed.

Only joking. Smile Another brilliant instalment... I'd quite happily pay money to read this. It's fantastic.

And now, the rankings.

This week's Wang Monster Award goes to Battle of Hazmeo: Part 1. I think it's best if I leave the fic itself to do the explaining. It didn't even offer us a smidgeon of mediocrity, which, in this case, would have been like a glass of cool water to someone in hell: instead, we were given what can only be described as something I'd expect out of a primary school's English class.

An Honourable Mention goes to Halo Clone Wars: Chapter 12. Unfortunately, it's not the sort of stuff I particularly enjoy, but, nevertheless, it's very good.

I was quite pleasantly surprised by this next submission, so Second Place goes to Wolf. I've never read anything of yours before today, Kaiyo no Hime, but it's superb. Truly excellent. Although it is second place, considering you were up against two old skoolers, you should still be incredibly pleased with yourself. Keep it up!

Now, this week has been particularly difficult: two established authors, both with excellent submissions. In the end, it was too close to call, so I'm proclaiming, for the first time in a long while, at least, that this week's Fic Pick is a dead heat between Tomorrow and Vestal Sins.

Anyway... that's all. Congratulations to all the winners, and I look forward to reading more from all of you in the future.
StevieTopSiders

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! You took the easy way out. I, however, have read neither submission so far, but everything looks promising!
Azrael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA! A tie? That's a fic pick first.
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not. Sad

Everyone forgets about Gall's picks! Very Happy

Good one, eb!

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've given a tie, too. Razz But good work, eb. I'll have to get reading this week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I just feel ridiculous. Sorry guys...but congrats to all the winners!
Enth Darkness Triumphant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Honourable Mention again.....oh well, hopefully my epilogue will fare better.

Congrats to the tied winners, may you guys enjoy the podium like Conjoined twins, lol.
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, eb, I appreciate your comments. Prompt, too. And I think I can live with a tie Wink

Congrats, as always, to all the winners.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: