HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pic of the Week (June 26)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieTopSiders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Fic Pic of the Week (June 26) Reply with quote

We had a small load this week, but I’m not complaining, as this is my first review. We swing the spectrum from terrible, stupid fan f**k-ups to awesome, publishable fan treasures of the literary variety.

Seven Days: The Unwelcome Guest:
That was dark, twisted, and downright wrong! I have not been following the Seven Days series, but from what I learned in my brief scan: wow. A little confusing, but a great, engrossing story! And now I have nightmares…

Vestal Sins: Chapter 2: Surrendering to the Tide
What can I say other than, “Good job, Arthur!” This is a riveting detective story with realistic characters. And by “realistic,” I do not mean “kindhearted and loving.” There is some serious tension between the Militia and the police, and Arthur makes that an integral part of the story. NOTE TO SELF: Don’t let militias form. They were only useful in the Revolutionary War, and that is just from the American perspective.

Thomaston- From Tulane
I’m not a huge fan of the From Tulane series. I prefer Halo to be heroic, idealized war, not the nitty-gritty aspects that Raspberry parades around for us. But, beggars can’t be choosers, and the Captain still spins a remarkable tale with believable characters and believable action. A great read!

Halo 3: Insurrection: Part Two
This is a very dialogue-heavy story with numerous GPS errors. Fix those so that we can focus in on the plot. It was short, but it continued the series well, so Wolverfrog deserves that much. Uhh… Yeah, keep working, and this should turn out to be a good series!

The Raid Part 1:Not the usual Fun Chapter 1:No Hero,No Us
Bad story. Barely coherent. Multiple tense and GPS errors ruined what was left of the stupid, thoughtless dialogue. I’d quote some parts to show how bad they are, but I’d be quoting the whole story… Proofread, reread, and have someone else read it before you think of submitting any more of this stuff!

Attack on Installation 06, part 23
Installation 06 is a great effort by Jake. The plotlines are sometimes confusing, but he hits the military nail right on the head with back-stabbing ONI and kick-ass Marines. The multiple POV’s get kind of confusing sometimes, but a diligent reader will soak them up in stride. The story had some minor quirks, but still a great read! A major quirk, however, is that the chapters are mislabeled in the titles. Fix that, and you’re home free!

So, give the good ones a read, and come back next week for more. And, oh, I almost forgot:

THE RANKINGS:

Honorable Mention- Seven Days: The Unwelcome Guest

Something different isn’t always something bad! Great work by Sev.

Second Place- Thomaston – From Tulane

When panties are an essential part of the plot, you know it’s good. Great read, Raspberry.

First Place- Vestal Sins: Chapter 2: Surrendering to the Tide

My only regret with this series’ second gold medal is that it hurts my eyes to read it on a screen. Can’t I get this mailed to me in hardcover form?!?

Well, I’d actually like all of this week’s fiction to be put into an infinitely-expanding library o’ awesomeness. Great job writers, and keep submitting! Also, feel free to review my reviews!
CaptainRaspberry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, everyone's a critic. Razz

Congrats to Wellesly for a job well done; I am willing to bow to greater writing than mine.

So long as it isn't kabu...

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fic Pic of the Week (June 26) Reply with quote

StevieTopSiders wrote:
I prefer Halo to be heroic, idealized war, not the nitty-gritty aspects that Raspberry parades around for us.

I disagree - heroic, idealized depictions of war always read like creepy propaganda to me.

Anyway, congrats on your first write-up and congrats to the winners! It was a really good week this time, if you ignore the one massive fuck-up.

Oh, what was that Raspberry? I couldn't hear you - you'll have to speak up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stevie. And great job on your first fic pick (and not just because I happened to win it Smile )

Congrats to all the winners.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: