HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vestal Sins: Chapter 2: Surrendering to the Tide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Vestal Sins: Chapter 2: Surrendering to the Tide Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Vestal Sins: Chapter 2: Surrendering to the Tide
Posted by Arthur Wellesley (arthur_wellesly@hotmail.com)
26 June 2009, 3:18 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Arthur_Welle0626090318381.html
CaptainRaspberry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to get this out of the way: I like this series a lot. I'm always intrigued by the way people handle the post-war scene, and your take on it is very well-handled. I think I'll thoroughly enjoy tracking the political shift away from Earth as it's handled in your story.

Your characters are real, though I can't get a good read on Eyal's partner. At first she seemed like a very reserved, cautious person, then she starts kneeling on their informants and playing bad cop. This isn't bad, of course, but if you're going to keep walking that fine line you should probably come up with a good line of justification for her behavior.

Still, this series is off to a very strong start. I'm excited to see where it'll end up (unless that is the end). I was half expecting Isaac to not be the right guy, but now that we know he did it, it's obvious that this runs deeper than it seems.

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the plot keeps evolving. Since we know you've finished writing this, I'm glad that I can look forward to another installment next week, so I can satisfy my curiosity.

Great, as usual.
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sev. Appreciated as always.

I appreciate your comment as well, Raspberry, and I'm glad you liked it. As to Mantega... she's a pretty rough character most of the time. However, something that I hope becomes clear later on is that she greatly respects Eyal, and that she was reserved at first because she was reticent to bother him on his day off - when he had specifically asked her not to contact him.

Something I'll admit... I wrote this series very slowly, and there were gaps between writing the chapters. I tried not to lose any character traits over time, and I recently reread it to make sure it was consistent. I hope, by the end, that her behavior will have seemed rational.

Thanks again. I'll try to get to everyone else's soon.

- Arthur
StevieTopSiders

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read! There was one aspect that confused me, though:

-Isn't Eyal old in the beginning? Now, he's doing a young-seeming ADA, and the Militia men ask why a "young man" like him didn't join the Marines. Hrmm...

Other than that, not too much to worry about. The cursing was in just the right amounts. It seemed natural and maybe a little excessive, but it didn't permeate the story at all. I can't wait for the plot to evolve, either! Great job this week.
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stevie.

Eyal's age was unspecified, but he was always meant to be young. I'd put him at around his late 20s.

- Arthur
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, Arthur. I really enjoyed this. Now, I've always thought the mark of a talented writer is when the reader can get genuinely angry at a character, and goddamn did I want to kick Grantmyre's ass. Hope he gets what's coming to him down the line.

The rest of the story was great, as well. Enjoyed the interrogation, it read as very true to life. And I wasn't too thrown by Eyal's age. I had him pegged as thirties, but definitely old beyond his years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, kr. Yea, Grantmyre's kind of a dick. But from his perspective, he's just defending his own organization from the predations of a total outsider. Or... he's just a dick Razz

Quote:
And I wasn't too thrown by Eyal's age. I had him pegged as thirties, but definitely old beyond his years.

Yes, this is how I wanted him to be. Pretty young - 30 at oldest - but with a giant chip on his shoulder.

Thanks again.

- Arthur
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, Arthur? I hate to use the Wire metaphor again, but it's difficult not to for several reasons.

Firstly, you're wonderfully descriptive in the narrative and vary the pace based on the environment, adopting different variations on the style for each situation. Additionally, your characters aren't black and white, and both the militia and the police are multi-layered, with general animosity at the lower levels, the occasional force for good, and idiots on top of the piles who are concerned mostly with lining their own pockets and covering their own arses.

However, the most important parallel with The Wire is that it is fucking brilliant, and there's really no excuse not to indulge in it. Fantastic work, as usual!

Phew. I hope that metaphor isn't getting too tired by now...
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, eb. I appreciate it, and I appreciate the comparison, even though I never saw The Wire myself. It's a critically acclaimed program, and didn't Obama say it was his favorite show? High praise indeed.

Thanks again.

- Arthur
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eep. Saw this bumped to the top tonight, and realized I forgot to comment.

Pretty much everything I wanted to say has been said, but I would like to really emphasize how much I like your characterization - varied, flawed, realistic and beautifully crafted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, kabs. Glad you liked it Smile

I think you once said that character driven stories are your favorite. I happen to agree, and I appreciate the comment.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: