HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo 4 screenplay REWRITE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Halo 4 screenplay REWRITE Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Halo 4 screenplay REWRITE
Posted by Spartan Shot (farfrompuken191@cs.com)
19 June 2009, 4:43 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Spartan_Shot0619091643091.html
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing you're going to need to look up if you want to make your submission readable is proper script format. Now, because the forms are going to be a bit different, and you don't get access to rich text formatting, you'll need to use the [indent] BBcode tag to work around the lack of formatting and the way doube spaces are deleted. The preview key is there for you to use, so make the best of it. You'll also need to clean up your writing mechanically, problems with phrasing and punctuation are a biggie here.

As for proper script formatting itself, you'll find it here in this neat PDF. Save it, and you can read from it often.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/screenplay.pdf

If making your scripts turns out to be difficult, you can use Celtx to visualize them, visit Celtx.com if you want to get it. Be warned that Celtx can't currently export to too many file formats.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
StevieTopSiders

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeltX confused the butt out of me, but I'd give it a try if you want to do a screenwrite. And since this has been re-written, it shows that you are at least putting some effort into it. I'd even proofread for you if you wanted to send the next update my way.

Other things: Brutes can't have low-tech ships that are powerful, the Arbiter lost his real name (he is simply Arbiter), and Elites do not know their fathers.
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I still like it, but once again it isn't a screenplay. You seem to be stuck halfway in between screenplay and story, some bits with descriptive narration and some bits with stage direction. A random example that catches my eye:
Quote:
"What do you mean tests?" the Chief asks.

This is fine for a story, but if you were doing a screenplay it would be:
Quote:
MASTER CHIEF
"What do you mean, tests?"

My suggestion is to abandon the screenplay idea and make it a story. It's already closer to one anyway. Either way, good work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Story Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for the tips. I think I'm leaning towards story more than screenwriting but i didn't want to abandon the idea of the levels and missions. And for the record, my idea of giving the Brutes powerful but primitive ships was simply that they were slow and that they lacked up to date Slipspace reactors and such but focused on weaponry and armor. And most Elites RARELY know their true fathers as stated on

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Elites

This could mean that the Arbiter may know his father since he is or was part of a ruling family. As for the Arbiter loosing his name, that was the rules set down by the Covenant. He could have reclaimed his old name when the civil war broke out. I could be wrong though. I appreciate you reading this story/sceenplay or whatever you want to call it. I'm not submitting anything else in the near future so thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: