HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vestal Sins: Chapter One: The First Forty-Eight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Vestal Sins: Chapter One: The First Forty-Eight Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Vestal Sins: Chapter One: The First Forty-Eight
Posted by Arthur Wellesley (arthur_wellesly@hotmail.com)
19 June 2009, 3:20 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Arthur_Welle0619090320121.html
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was... it's amazing how no one's commented yet. I suppose it's the length of the piece that does it--but still, people are missing out.

This chapter didn't exactly grab me from the get-go, but the way it built on an already impressive foundation was quite fascinating to behold. Vesta truly does feel like a living, breathing place, and it's filled with its share of monsters and victims. The detective work--traveling, askin', and capturin'--all served to build yet another view of the planet, and it's evolving tapestry of clashing cultures.

All the more impressive because this is the first story I've seen that deals with the aftermath of war in a realistic fashion; after all, where will all those people go? And will they be welcomed? Not quite.

Amazing, as usual.
eb4642
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite fantastic. In a way, I almost feel like I'm watching The Wire 2553... you manage to provide intimate and realistic descriptions of all your environments, and your dialogue is magnificent.

Absolutely brilliant... I'm awaiting the next instalment with anticipation, eagerness and trepidation.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this, Arthur. The amount of thought you put into this world, for starters, is impressive. Most official canon worlds don't have so thorough a backstory, except maybe Harvest or Reach. That kind of detail adds a lot to a story.

This was a good length, too. It was fairly long, but didn't feel like it reading through, always a mark of quality. The story itself is something new, too, except for maybe one of your own other submissions. I don't think we've ever had a Halo crime drama, and it's an nice change of pace. I'm interested in seeing where you go with this. You've got something pretty unique for fan fiction, and I really haven't a clue where you're heading next. Good work. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sev. I really appreciate your comment. I really want to build Vesta as my own corner of the Haloverse, and I'm glad to hear that you think it's working.

eb: I'm certainly trying to make this a gritty tale. I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the comment.

kr: the detective angle really lets me get down to tell a smaller story rather than the epic stories of official canon. It's something I've really wanted to do. I hope it works out.

As to the length: I hope it's not too daunting. Thanks to everyone for slogging through it Smile

- Arthur
StevieTopSiders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm reading through and reviewing as I go:

-Is he really wallowing in so much sorrow for losing an off day? Seems a little excessive.
-I love the old cranky guy, sounds exactly like a war veteran that I would imagine.
-The Black Hand? My Paolini sense are tingling...

Those were the only things that jumped out at me. Great dialogue, and great writing. Another success!
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first: Paolini is a hack, and most of us here are better writers. Second: the Black Hand is a generic name, and there are plenty of real-world organizations with that name. The guys who assassinated Franz Ferdinand, for example.

That's all. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kr-1426 wrote:
Okay, first: Paolini is a hack, and most of us here are better writers. Second: the Black Hand is a generic name, and there are plenty of real-world organizations with that name. The guys who assassinated Franz Ferdinand, for example.

That's all. Wink

Well, thinking back to history class a month or so a go, you're right about the Black Hand. And as bad a writer as Paolini may be, I still Eragon, and to a lesser extent Eldest, and to an even lesser extent Brisingr. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: