HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memoirs of an ODST - Parts one and two

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Memoirs of an ODST - Parts one and two Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Memoirs of an ODST - Parts one and two
Posted by Wolverfrog (Wolverfrog49@hotmail.com)
14 June 2009, 12:45 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Wolverfrog0614091245421.html
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to hboff! It's great to see so many new writers around lately.

About the story: Short but sweet - You very quickly set up a coherent plot and characters, but I could have used another thousand words or so. Particularly in the escape from Harvest, I feel like that could be a whole chapter, especially if you took some time to introduce his family.

From a technical perspective, you have a very easy writing style that makes great use of vocab and simile without drowning us in adjectives. It's not often that we get a new writer who can string two sentences together, let alone write well. I think you really nailed it.

I have only one major complaint: GPS (grammar/punctuation/spelling) errors. All over the place. You repeatedly forget capitalizations ("earth" and "harvest"), displace commas and apostrophes, have a few grammar mistakes, and have a tendency to use run-on sentences. The biggest example:
Quote:
It wasn't like any of our cruisers; it was purple, and made of a shiny metallic element which was definitely not used in any of our standard ships, on closer inspection, it seemed like the ship was curvaceous, although why it was built this way was a mystery, surely it would just slow it down with its un-streamlined shape.

Read it out loud before you click "submit." That should have been at least three sentences, and then it would work.

Overall, though, this is a great first submission and I would love to see where you go from here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: