HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week (May 15)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Fic Pick of the Week (May 15) Reply with quote

Alright, weíve got a smaller update this week, but itís still a solid one. All are regulars except for one, and the new guy manages to rise above the normal crop of first-timers. So, without further ado, the stories:

Roger's Tales - Part I by UNSC Trooper

One of those nifty dialogue-only stories, done in the context of an interview with an ex-marine. A little unclear because of the lack of description, but interesting nonetheless. That marineís sure got some odd storiesÖ

Desperate Measures by Jack Lang

This weekís new guy, weíve got a story about an assault on a Covenatn cruiser. Jack does a solid job with GPS, unlike a lot of newer writers, which is more than a relief. There are quite a few plot holes and the like, though, and the whole thing couldíve used to be much longer and broken up with more description in between. Good effort, though.

Attack on Installation 06, part 20 by Jake Trommer

Jake continues his long-running post-Halo 3 story, picking up with the Chief and his team stranded. As usual, criminally short and ends with a cliffhanger. And yet, we keep reading, Ďcause itís good stuff.

Walking in a Winter Wonderland - A 'Bad Days' Story by kabu

kabu continues his series here with the Bad Days crew dealing with an uncomfortable winter. Lucky for them, itís just as rough on the Covenant. Good stuff, although anyone whoís been reading kabu and Raspberryís stuff might get a chuckle out of the unintentional similarities in plot between this and Raspberryís last From Tulane. kabu assures me it was unintentional.

Deployment - From Tulane by CaptainRaspberry

Raspberry continues Private Holidayís narrative of his deployment on Tulane, this time starting at the beginning. Mixes the mundane with the violent for quite an effect. A nice nod to kabu, too.

Abnd now, on to the placings. For Honorable Mention, we have Attack on Installation 06, part 20.

The proverbial shit hits the fan: And Jake pulls it off pretty damn good. Itís like the shit hits dead-center, and gets that just-right spray pattern that just goes everywhere. You canít help but be impressed. Jakeís characters are in some rough shit, and you feel it. His characters die, and even though theyíre minor characters from the chapter before, you still feel it. No oneís invincible here.

Not enough, though: Just as that spray starts up, though, itís done (and Iím done with that metaphor, and thanks for tolerating it Razz ). I said it before, but Jakeís stuff is criminally short. If he werenít such a good writerÖ But anyways, itís hard to write a really stand-out piece this short, because there really isnít enough time for tings to happen. Maybe next time, hold of on posting that chapter, and write the next one, then see how they combine.

And next up, in Second Place, is Walking in a Winter Wonderland - A 'Bad Days' Story.

Oh, what fun, it is to rideÖ: I know, wrong Christmas song. But kabuís stuff is just fun. Itís a lighthearted character piece, and we learn a lot about the cast here just from knowing how they react to the cold on Aquilae. Thereís some other nice bits of characterization, and an unintentional channeling of CaptainRaspberry, and a thread with Isaac that I hope kabu picks up later.

But something isnít right: I couldnít quite place it, but this felt distinctly different than any of your other pieces in style. Something just seemed off, not your typical kabu. Iím thinking it might be because it seems more like the story is being narrated in the present rather than the typical Isaac telling a story vibe. Iím being picky, though. It wasnít kabuís best stuff, but it was by no means bad.

And finally, the winner of the Fic Pick of the Week is CaptainRaspberry with Deployment - From Tulane

Just the right blend: Captain here gives us just the right mix of banality, brutal violence, dumb luck, and an understatement of it all. This is war. Nothing glorious, just men and women trying to liveósome of them failing. Heís got some laughs, too, although they are dark, and gets in a jab at kabu, too. Most of all, though, Iím a fan of how plain-speaking the narrator is when it comes to all of this.

But nothingís perfect: As much as there were lines that did a great job at giving a no-bullshit look at life on Tulane, a few just fell flat. The last line in particular just sounds weird, and it wouldnít have been so bad if it werenít the last line of the story. Otherwise, though, no real complaints.

And there you have it, folks! To the rest of you, expect a comment in the next few days. Itís late, though, and Iím going to bed.
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, why the hell am I awake?

Secondly, I really don't see the similarity to Tulane that you're talking about, unless you're just refereng to the fact that we used the same type of alien. Raspberry is taking his story in a very unique direction.

Thirdly, the changes in narration that you've noticed are very deliberate. It is different, yes, but I think the situational humor is better than the old one-gag-per-line stuff. To be honest, "Winter Wonderland" is by far my absolute favorite of all the Bad Days stories. The whole thing is a character piece at heart. I'll be sticking with this style.

And congrats to Raspberry, of course.
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant nothing by the the comparison, just made me chuckle, kabu. The change in style wasn't as much of a deciding factor as it seems, though, I just thought that Raspberry's was better. No offense meant. I don't like judging without some criticism, though, and it was something immediate that jumped out at me. I was actually having trouble putting my finger on why I didn't like it as much as your usual stuff, and I'm still not entirely sure why.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I guess you got a point, KR. Most likely no new chapter this week. Razz
CaptainRaspberry

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo! I'm goin' for a streak!

I dunno, I really liked kabu's change in style. It's a pleasant and not-jarring change of pace from what he's done in the past (not that what he's done is bad, but different). I'm looking forward to reading the next installments.

And kabu, I think our stories' similarities lie in the fact that they're character plots set on J-random worlds somewhere nonspecific in the universe.

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: