HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oncoming Winter - From Tulane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Oncoming Winter - From Tulane Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Oncoming Winter - From Tulane
Posted by CaptainRaspberry (jptaber@gmail.com)
2 April 2009, 11:33 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=CaptainRaspb0402092333191.html
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, this is great stuff. I love your POV choice and how Holiday reflects on the different characters' futures in between telling the story. You do a great job setting the mood with simple little things, like the three watching explosions on the rooftop. Once again, great work, Captain! Keep this up and you'll always have an audience here. Wink
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everything I said about "Mongoose" still stands - great characters, great voice, great descriptions. Not much to add, except I think you're getting maybe just a little bit too close to writing exactly like Tim O'Brian - that's not such a bad thing, but you should work on developing your own style. Once again, great work and I'm glad you're writing here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I went away for the weekend, but it's awesome I get to come back to praise.

kabu wrote:
Not much to add, except I think you're getting maybe just a little bit too close to writing exactly like Tim O'Brian - that's not such a bad thing, but you should work on developing your own style.

This was actually a huge concern for me after I wrote it and was reading it over before submission. I almost pulled it from this week, but in the end decided to just go ahead. But I completely agree; the next part I'll try and get back to my own style, maybe make it a little bit more light-hearted (this one was a bit more gruesome than "Mongoose").

Current Project: Ha ha ha!
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand the concern about developing your own 'style'--in fact, worrying about it is probably the worst thing you can do. Just keep writing and don't worry about who you might sound like, because your 'style' or whatever you want to call it will develop on its own.

Finally had the chance to read it. Amazing stuff. The way with which he accepts an unrelentingly grim situation with tired, wry humor is a lot of fun to read, and some of the scenes... loved the detail about the marker and the corpses, and the way this chapter ended was very, uh, poetic and stuff. You know. Good job and all that. Don't want to get too enthusiastic here. Good job, old chap, but you could stand to improve. Embarassed Laughing
Phædrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You have a very lucid, compelling style, but with a punch. I did not expect the nuke.

Azrael said this was too short, but I must disagree. As a member who has never submitted anything longer than 3500 words (and that only once), I can attest to the power of a very short story. You could have done with a little more embellishment at the end, after the nuke, as it seems you understated the significance of what just happened. It's alright as you submitted it, though; it just could have been a bit better.

Overall, I thoroughly agree with this being chosen for the fic pick. Congrats. Smile
fallschirmjager

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it.

This was my favourite line

Quote:
On the ground, Israel nodded, tears streaming down the faces of him and his two buddies. "Better than fuckin' fireworks," he said. They were blind for two days.

That just tops it off.

Such a gritty yet very enjoyable read.

Will you keep my secrets hope to die?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: