HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlestar: Halo: Chapter 1: The Battle of Earth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Battlestar: Halo: Chapter 1: The Battle of Earth Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Battlestar: Halo: Chapter 1: The Battle of Earth
Posted by (ENS) Rabid_Gallagher (rabid_masterchief@hotmail.com)
3 December 2004, 6:46 PM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=ens_rabid_ga.1203041846132.html
MasterSushi

Location: Sitting in a chair. On my own. Eating cupcakes. And people tell me to get a life. Ha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, very good!

Two things:
1.) The gaps between each paragraph seemed to change,
2.) Starbuck?

Brave of you to make a Halo 2 'ending'.

I liked it Smile
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sushi. I can't say anything 'bout the gaps, but there was a Starbuck in the orginial, and NEW series on Sci-Fi. So I put him in there, with Apollo and Adama.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really follow that series. I like Stargate though. And Star Wars.... boy, a good combo with Halo and Star Wars would be good. But, if anyone takes up this idea, they had better do a wonderful job. Else I'll be on their ass like... like... like... I'll just be there to issue forth a really big comment.

I would suggest bolding yout title; or make it stand out in some way or another. Even just use a [hr] to split things up.
I think you had the right idea about using all those words, but, those things are only really good when used in the right place. Or in good descriptions. What you did was just make the text a tad harder to read. Just read things over, or have someone else read over it and tell you what they think. Just as a practical concern, many of the newer readers here may not even be able to define those.
A back-flip? Watch the areobatics.
Write out numbers and such. Instead of "360o" do "three-hundred-sixy degrees". It looks better and flows more smoothly.
Watch that dialogue. There were a couple places where I couldn't rell who was talking. Like, if it was that person, or if it could be another.
Add some more detail in there, too. The writing was kind of bland; lacking a lot of material that could have made it much better and more interesting.
Also, try developing things more thoroughly. It seemed that things were moving by too quickly; because of little explenation, for one.
Watch your transitions also. You don't want to jump around too much. That can lose the reader, make things jumpy, and just take away from flow. Keep an eye on grammar there, too. Some of it sounded off and really started taking away from the reading.

Overall, this was very decent, but it still needs a lot of improvement. You definetely need to proofread your stories more. It would eliminate most of your sundry mistakes and habitual quandries of composition and facade. Heh, hope I actually used all of those right. I'm not too good with spelling. Anyway, keep working.
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually MCC, this is basically a huge collection of famous movies and series into one, uber fanfic.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
thedarkfire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were more big words in the first paragraph than i have ever seen in the entire FF section. Good or bad? The jury is still out.
Brigade_of_marines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big words are good. It makes you think. It is all ways good. The better the vocab the better you are off in life. Please try to use more "big" words.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to discourage good and well used vocabulary, but, using words like that, as they were used, didn't really serve as something to make me thing. It actually cluttered the writing and made the flow not that good at all. And I am very literate. Think about the average people that are going to read this.
So, keep using good words, but only use them in the right places (like detailed descriptions and stuff like that). Also, don't use wierd sounding words. Having a good thesaurus is fine, but using words likst you did just didn't appeal.

So, keep working.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good imagination, and are not afraid of details, and that is good. You used fairly sophisticated words throughout the story. That is not really a problem but it is tricky. Unless it is done very carefully it can seem out of place and irritating. My feeling was that it didn't fit the story very well. I'm not really a BG fan, so I can't comment intelligently on how well you combined it with Halo.

Overall, the story was a bit choppy and hard to follow. But it is obvious that you are a talented writer, and I am sure that it will smooth out. Also, I love fanfics that stand out from the rest, and this certainly does that.

C.T. Clown
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea good man but you had SO many bloody discriptions example the 1st paragraph

'The attack wasn't surmised by anyone in the UNSC, nor civilian radar pick-ups. Only a unitary person knew, and he was on the last Covenant super-weapon, the Arc. John 117 ceased his transmission, then culled up his BR55. He pulled back the reloading pin and extracted out a clip of ammo, then supplanted it with a new cohesive clip of ammo. He roused the pin back into it's chamber, then ambulated over to the entry of the hallways.'

Jeez! well ne way i liked it good job ENS, mind you i like most of your stuff, congrats on good stories Very Happy
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really guys, you gime and Plisk WAY too much credit.

(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some1 reply back? Please? I got cookies...

Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: sadf Reply with quote

Nice story. Nevere seen a better ending ofr halo 2. That was just great. i only saw a few of the Battle star Galactica when i was 12. and one eps from the new tv series. It was cool. Cant wait to read the next one.

When are you going to make that other one you said?
#179/1204
"Studying Computer Information Systems (That's Programming for you retards out there)"
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can multi-task, and I'm writing three stories at the same time.

MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher wrote:
I can multi-task, and I'm writing three stories at the same time.

You know, sometimes that can be a bad thing. When you do that, several things can happen:

You can feel rushed by the different stories and want to post them all without much delay. This will make writing quality decrease.

You can get facts and stuff mixed up. Then you have to try to remember what is what. This ties into...

Focus. Whne doing different stories, you may like one more than the other, and then put more effort into one more than the other. Also, one way dominate your mind while the other doesn't get developed or thought over well enough.

So, generally, I say stick to a single series. Now, writing short stories/series while working on a longer series is alright. Sometimes even the most dedicated of authors needs a break.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: