HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth Fighting For; CH 3: Onboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Worth Fighting For; CH 3: Onboard Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Worth Fighting For; CH 3: Onboard
Posted by DevilsInjector (mj-power@hotmail.com)
22 December 2008, 7:37 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=DevilsInject1222081937551.html
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I took so long getting to this, DI.

I think you need to give your writing more room to breathe by establishing your setting and atmosphere a bit more thoroughly. Give the reader a feel for where your characters are and what it's like to be there. You don't need to get into every morbid detail (which would be another mistake) but more description would be nice. Getting wordy about the guy seeing a nude female doesn't really count. Another thing I noticed was that you start far too many sentences with the name of a character. Nothing wrong with starting a sentence that way, but doing it over and over hurts your flow and takes the reader out of the story. Mixing it up a bit would help.

Take it or leave it, but in my opinion this girl-tougher-than-the-guys thing has passed into cliche. I'm not against strong female characters, believe me. Azrael is doing a fine job with it in his new series and I have an extremely dangerous woman at the center of my story Court of Darkness. I guess what I'm saying is that "tough" is fine, but to avoid cliche it has to come from someplace deeper and more real than:
Quote:
she wasn't your normal everyday girl, and she didn't take anything from anyone. One Marine walked up and grabbed her ass once; she turned and punched him in the face. Knocked out a couple teeth.
All I know about this girl is that she 1.) is cute and 2.) knows how to throw a punch—and in a military fanfic, that's as cliche as it gets. I've met girls like the one in Azrael's story, and the one I've written in Court of Darkness is based on a scary woman I used to work with. But the gorgeous vixen with a boxer's skills and a centerfold's physique is the property of bad Jennifer Garner movies, the odd Bond babe and a lot of other things you probably want to avoid. Okay, you only said that she had a "natural beauty" so I guess the "centerfold" thing was a bit harsh. For now, I'll wait and see.

I'll be looking for your next chapter.

C.T. Clown
DevilsInject

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: New Mini-Series. Reply with quote

Yeah, I did say natural beauty. Almost like the actress from [u]Million Dollar Baby[u/]. Cant remember her name.

And, I'm working on the start-a-sentence-with-a-name thing, but I havent gotten to do alot of writing lately. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: