HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Priestess and the Warrior - Peace, Remembrance & a Heavy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: The Priestess and the Warrior - Peace, Remembrance & a Heavy Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

The Priestess and the Warrior - Peace, Remembrance & a Heavy Price Paid
Posted by Jillybean (jillybean@bungie.org)
18 December 2008, 8:08 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Jillybean1218082008181.html
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one! I liked the interaction between the Aribiter and Hood, it was very well-written, in my opinion.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the end of such a long-running series, this should have more comments. Sad

I liked it. Not my favorite of the week, but it's definitely not a bad piece. It wraps everything up nicely, but still leaves room for future stories. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed your characterization of the Arbiter, and like him much more than Buckell's unsympathetic bastard. Like I mentioned in the Fic Pick, too, I like the bits with the two co-op Elites, as small as they are. little continuity nods like that can make a story.

But like I said, a fitting end, and probably the closest (and best) thing we'll get to a Halo 3 novelization. This series wll always have a place in my own personal canon, and if I ever write anything post-Halo 3, there's sure to be a nod or two. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly made Orna a sympathetic character that takes what the game gave us and you ran with it.

What has always made this series stand out is the depth you go into the Covenant society. It's very sci-fi/fantasy, often leaning further into fantasy, but never TOO much.

It's a very satisfying end to a far-reaching and comprehensive series, and the effort alone is commendable. Well done, Jillybean, and thanks for sharing with us.

Hans has always been a personal favorite of mine, and I've always enjoyed the way you portray Covenant politics into your species.

Congrats on finishing a classic series, and I hope it's not too long before we see your next work.
Jillybean
Darth Diva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the Arbiter a sympathetic character (and by extension the Covenant) was what I'd always set out to do, so I'm very pleased to see that pay off. It's a pet peeve of mine in war fiction that it's rare to have both sides seen. I don't believe that one side is 'right' and one side is 'wrong' so I tried to flesh out the politics of why they went to war. (In this case, Truth engineered it as a way of edging the Sangheili out so he could bring the Brutes in)

I wanted the Arbiter to be a father and for that he needed a mate, someone who could tell the domestic story, and that became Saia. Also, I like strong female characters, and Saia is definitely one of my favourite.

There are a few things I'm happy with - 'Kristassi rounding up the last of the Jiralhanae. I really like that. She wants to include them in whatever new alliance rises up from the ashes. And I like that it's the next generation who are trying to unify the species from that point of view.

There are a couple of things that bother me. The chapters which are actually set in game are a bitch to write. And I'm not completely happy about where Saia's left hanging. She was given a post to placate her as Ambassador and her institution is gone - she's lost all power and she's a very career minded person. Sitting at home will only remind her of what she's lost. If I ever use these characters again (or if I ever use the 'verse again) she'll have worked her way into government, charges of Orna's nepotism be damned.

And finding an ending for this was nigh on impossible, so I decided to fade to black with an implied sex scene. It seemed only fitting for our noble heroes!

I'm planning on deconstructing the fic over on my livejournal and I'll link to that when I'm done.

Thanks for all your reviews over time, this was one of my favourite fics and very enjoyable to write.
thedarkfire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Priestess and the Warrior. A story many (4) years in the making and one of the only reasons I still come to this sight.

This was an epic tale of two Elites who have started as little hatchlings and grew to be the most powerful people in the Galaxy, Their stories being carefully and thoughtfully interwoven into the tale of the Human-Covenant War and the periods before and after it.

Orna Fulsamee and Saia Jalahass have been just as much a part of the Halo universe as anything officially made by Bungie.

This wonderous and fantastical series will truly be missed on this site and yes, I am kind of sad to see it end.

Well done Jill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: