HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo: Stealth Combat Evolved: Part 3-Chapter 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Halo: Stealth Combat Evolved: Part 3-Chapter 9 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Halo: Stealth Combat Evolved: Part 3-Chapter 9
Posted by Mind_Affecting_Parasite (pbplayer_24@yahoo.com)
3 December 2004, 2:23 AM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=mind_affecti.12030402231510.html
Mind_Affecting_Parasite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you read, I would appreciate if any of you with military knowledge would give be a breif description about numbers of soldiers in platoons and divisions and stuff like that. I need those kinds of details in my following chapters, and so would appreciate your knowledge.

I hope you enjoyed your read.
Jenkins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to say that you did not disappoint. I don't feel like nagging you about your minimal spelling and grammar mistakes so I'll just go eat lunch...mmmm pizza!
MasterSushi

Location: Sitting in a chair. On my own. Eating cupcakes. And people tell me to get a life. Ha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit > Approximate Number of personnel > Somposition > Typical Commander

Army > 100,000 > 2+ corps > HQ General

Corps > 30,000+ > 2+ divisions > Lt. General

Division > 15,000+ > 3 brigades + HQ + support units > Maj. General

Brigade > 4,500+ > 3+ regiments + HQ > Brig. General

Regiment > 1,500+ > 2+ battalions + HQ > Colonel

Battalion > 700 > 4+ companies + HQ > Lt. Colonel

Company > 175 > 4 platoons + HQ > Captain

Platoon > 40 > 4 squads > Lieutenant

Squad > 10 > N/A > Staff Sergeant

Happy to be of service Smile
Just PM me if you need anything more.

Don't forget to read and review MasterSushi's newest fic!
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Sushi, a platoon is, at most, 30 people with ten in each company. At least in the Marines and Navy. I don't know about Army regulations. They have special companys for that. My older brother went to Vietnam and served as a SEAL, and he belonged to SEAL Team Two, 7th Platoon, Charlie Company.

But I guess you're talking Army, so I won't say no more.

And Mind_Affecting_Parasite, I'll give you a detailed roster of a squad.

A squad is usually either four men up to six people. One of them is usually a rifleman, armed with a M4A1 or a M16A2. Another man carries the SAW-12 Automatic machinegun. Either the last two or one carries either the M4A1/M-203 or the M16A2/M-203. Then, the last person sometimes carries a M-21 Sniper Rifle or a M4A1. Sometimes, if there is more, they'll carry the M4A1 or M16A2.
Usually there is always a man with a radio for air support and ground control. Special Forces in the Marine Corps don't carry radios due to silence. They usually carry flares, green for Mission Accomplished, red for Need A Pick-Up, yellow for Need Medivac, or blue for Mission Failed, Need Immediate Dust-off.
But the man with the SAW will always either carry the AT4 Rocket Launcher or the 30Mk Mike Mike grenade launcher.

I hope you put that into your fanfics, Mind

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the vehicles would belong to some Battlion or Reginment. You would have to fix that also while you're at it. For example, if you wanted a Warthog to drop where the marines are, here's a brief description on how you would have to write it:

Quote:
[INDENT] The Marine Heavy Gunner got down on his left knee, the grass silently moving under the force of his knee. He took the yellow flare and popped the back, the flames moving into the sky. He opened his left pocket and popped another yellow flare, setting them on the ground.
[INDENT]Silence followed, then the soft humming of a Pelican was heard. The squad looked up, the Pelican's symbols easily seen. This Pelican belonged to 101st Airborne Recon Battlion, a credited battlion on it's many battles and victories. It hovered in the air, dropping it's cargo.
[INDENT] Three marines jumped out of the back of the Pelican, the sound "Ouff!" was heard. One of the Marines un-hooked the wire attached to the Pelican, the Warthog deployed. The Marines climbed back into the Pelican.
[INDENT] The Pelican slowly climbed into the air, then flew into the distance. The squad leader, Lance Corporal Anthony Davis, ran over to the Warthog, jumping into the driver's seat. . .

Something along the lines like that, and BOOM. There's a perfect storyline.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow flare is Requesting Vehicle Assitance, and there is always a Military Spotter, watching the Marines in case of flares.

Mind_Affecting_Parasite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's a better result for the miltary knowledge that I thought I would have. Thanks.
But, if anyone get's to it, since you seem to be on a roll, any semi-definate numbers on numbers of Pelicans in each of those groups (alos stuff like Warthogs and Tanks). This one is base (on the ground) around a military base, so I want to be able to properly describe things when my General get's the big guns rolling and what not.
Info on Fire Teams and that kind of stuff (and of course, anything wrong with the military end of my story) would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way, where are the actual story reviews? Just curious.
Master Grunt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Here you go... Reply with quote

Nice job emulating Eric Nylands, or whatever the name of the guy who wrote the official Halo series is. Your story matches his format exactly, which is a bad thing and a good thing.

It's good because your story looks very cool and sounds really nice too.
It's bad because you simply copied his format and writing style, except you changed the names and storyline. Confused

I personally would not copy his writing stlye, but instead write my won story from scratch without looking at another book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MasterSushi

Location: Sitting in a chair. On my own. Eating cupcakes. And people tell me to get a life. Ha.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it's bad to copy someones writing style.
Master Grunt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Oh well... Reply with quote

Well, everybody has their own thoughts on what is good and what is not...

I think it is bad, but you do not...

I still think the story is cool. I just wouldn't copy the writing style again...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure M_A_P.

The Scorpions and Warthogs only carry a symbol on their left bumber plate. It would be the symbol of their divison/reginment/army, then the numbering of the divison/etc/etc.
The Pelicans, if they belong to a divison (Same with Helicopters today) would keep their symbol on their numbering. Like this

E186 (symbol)

Something like that. They would be in a number of actions too. Like Search and Rescue, Medivac, Probing (Where they drop off a small platoon for recon detail), and simple Extraction.

Now for Marine regulations:

They will always send a small platoon out first, for Probing. If they find nothing, they will automatically send Pelicans fully loaded with men to storm the base. But they only do that if the Recon detail doesn't find Anti-Aircraft batteries.
If they do, they'll air drop small explosives into the surrounding area, away from the areas with AA batteries. The platoon will use radios in this operation. They will find the explosives and go back, destroy them, and call for an extraction.
If they find tanks, they'll call in Longswords in this ocasion. In real life, it would be A-10s. The Longswords will definially use carpet bombings against the tanks as they bomb the tanks into obilivon.
If they find troops, lots of them, then they'll bug out. A probing operation is not to engage, it's to find out.

Hope this info helps.
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot.

Fire teams in the Marines use military lettering. Fire Team Bravo, Fire Team Juliet, Fire Team Zebra, etc etc. If you need to find out a letter, just pm me.

Oh, and if the probing operation gets into a fire fight, and the enemy gots tanks rolling in, the marines will call in Artillery Fire. For the probing operation in your fanfic, I would have the ODST be the probing operation, while the Marines send smaller ODST squads into recon around the area around the base. If they find nothing, they will be air-drop from orbit into the surrounding area around the enemy's base. Like 2 miles away. They'll probably send a three man squad with Warthog.
If it seems they need heavy weapons, the Pelicans will make strafing runs against the enemy troops. I'm guessing the three man squad would be 101st Marine Recon, second to the ODSTs.

And for squad weapons. If you use the four man squad thing I was talking about. They would use these weapons:
First Weapon: MA57
The reason why is because the Sub-Machinegun doesn't put out as much firepower as it should. In this case, the Rear-Guard would use this.

Second Weapon: BR55/M-906
The M-906 is a small grenade launcher. The Heavy Gunner/Demolition Man would use this under his BR55. He would probably remove the scope on top on the BR55, because it would string his shoulder muscles if he had the M-906.

Third Weapon: S2 AM Sniper Rifle
The pointman would definially use this. But he would probably modify the scope to better suit his style of firing. And he would give it a name. It would probably be written on the barrel, like "Linda" or "Sheila".

Fourth Weapon: M90 Shotgun
The close-range support man, he's also the medic, will definially use this. It will be just the same old M90, except with forest camoflague on it. My teammate Gunner Sergeant Texas Williams got his custom painted at Winchester Shotgun Factory. It would be camoflague, definially.

Just PM me if you need more military help. I was in the military, and I know what I'm talking about.

(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Marines would use the M12 Warthog LV, with the Chain Gun, not Gauss. Special Forces would need to lay down heavy fire, not small bazooka fire.

I'll stop typing now. . .

MasterSushi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher you are amazing!

I'm bookmarking this page for sure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: