HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Falchion part 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Falchion part 1 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Falchion part 1
Posted by kr142616
7 November 2008, 2:28 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=kr1426161107080228081.html
Azrael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was completely into this, and then you threw that last paragraph at me about Andrew and I got completely lost. From whose viewpoint are we seeing this?

This seems 97% Scott and then becomes Andrew at the last second, but seems to be from Scott's mind. I was really lost. It was a great submission, but what was that ending?
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last paragraph was a rush job, and just to get this long enough for You're Doing It Right. Embarassed Without it it was a hundred words or so short. The opening was actually from Andrew's POV, too.

But this was something I wrote a while ago and wasn't realy intending to submit, but nothing else I had ready fit the criteria for Phae's contest. I was thinking of doing a rewrite later down the line, but I'm not sure it'd be too different. Anyways, glad you liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this back when it came out, kr. I was sure I reviewed it. Woops.

This was a short piece, but it was full of great moments. The exchange over Andrew's heart rate, and the subsequent discussion about orbital drops, cleverly established the nature of the relationship between the Spartans. This is a great example of the "showing, not telling" mantra so oft repeated around here. This was a very effective opening scene.

The flashback sequence was good. Good in that it was well written and well described. I wasn't totally sure where you were taking it, though.

Scott's demise answered this, I think. Trained since the age of six, fighting alongside his comrades for decades - all to meet an end because of a mechanical malfunction, before even making contact with the enemy. All a little ironic, too, given that he was the only Spartan who didn't mind "the bucket."

When I read this, all I could think was: "F%#!" Which I believe was your intention. So kudos.

I have to agree with Az, though. The final scene left me confused. Perspective seemed a little screwey there.

But great stuff all round, kr. Are you gonna continue?

- Arthur
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to continue this eventually, but the only reason I actually submitted was for Phaes contest a while back. I don't really think it was completely ready to be submitted, and deserves at least a cursory rewrite, IMO. Falchion wasn't ever even intended as a title. I just needed something to call it Thursday night. Wink

But I want to at least finish Amethyst before I get really into this. I have it more or less planned out in my head, I just have other stuff I'm working on that I don't want to neglect.

Thanks for giving it a read, though, and I'm glad you liked it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: