HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Priestess and the Warrior - The Covenant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: The Priestess and the Warrior - The Covenant Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

The Priestess and the Warrior - The Covenant
Posted by Jillybean (jillybean@bungie.org)
4 October 2008, 5:46 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Jillybean1004081746351.html
baneofdeath

Location: If i tell you will you promise not to come to my house and rape me?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all very good. it was very long and i did find myself skipping over some parts towards the end. there were several minor things that i feel i need to say.

First off you switched alot between saying the Covenant names and then the human names, such as Brute, then Jiralhanae. Not ver important but it is always good to be consistent.

Quote:
N'tho held a human shotgun, his favoured weapon

Generaly Covenant dont use weapons that are not normally associated with them. So, it seems odd that an elite would favor a shotgun over an energy sword. But i guess its possible. That part with the Brute shot making that elite smile was also along the same lines.

Quote:
"You are here because we . . . we Sangheili have reclaimed our independence. It has been thousands of years since we worked for ourselves, since we had a hand in our fate, and did not follow the every whim of a Forerunner that were all knowing and all seeing. I will tell you of the Forerunner, brothers, they were like us. Like us, they feared the Flood, like us they made sacrifices, like us they loved their families. This is the way the world ends, my brothers, and we are the harbingers of doom. Onwards!"

Seemed a little forced to me. Also slightly drawn out.

Quote:
Orna used the push of gravity to vault off one of the pillars and he drove the bladed butt of the Brute Shot into the skull of the Chieftain, splattering his armour with blood.

Seems slightly farfeteched. Although the arbiter was an above average warrior, close range fights with brutes tend to end up with a dead elite. And this was a cheiftan with a gravity hammer.

As i said, just some minor stuff that i felt should be pointed out. most of it was more precautionary then anything else. in other words, i noticed you straying towards doing what i was talking about.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baneofdeath wrote:
First off you switched alot between saying the Covenant names and then the human names, such as Brute, then Jiralhanae. Not ver important but it is always good to be consistent.

Quote:
N'tho held a human shotgun, his favoured weapon

Generaly Covenant dont use weapons that are not normally associated with them. So, it seems odd that an elite would favor a shotgun over an energy sword. But i guess its possible. That part with the Brute shot making that elite smile was also along the same lines.

In Jilly's defense, both of these are explained earlier that you might have missed. In the former case, the casual terms are used by Covenant almost as insults, and in the latter, that was intended to show the Elite's willingness to join with the humans against the Prophets, IIRC.

I haven't been keeping up with this, unfortunately, and I'm a few behind, so I can't really comment on anything else. I'll get around to them eventually, though. Wink
Darth Diva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Kr's right, the human terms are 'slang', like we would call a marine a 'jarhead'.

And as this is a story about integration, I'm glad you picked up on the shotgun being favoured by N'tho.

As for the 'hero' moment - this story has followed Orna's journey for years (both in our terms and in the story Wink ) and this chapter is one of the climaxes of the story, at least in terms of the Hierarchs. So I felt it was warranted Smile

I don't like having to defend the story, because it means I've not done my job properly, but in the interests of opening a dialogue, that's how it was meant to come across.
baneofdeath

Location: If i tell you will you promise not to come to my house and rape me?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, it was mostly me noticing that you were getting close to making those errors, i felt the need to hint at the fact that you were getting close to commiting such an error. I really enjoyed this story, despite its lenght (and my very short attention span.)

based on me not keeping up with the series i realize i hardly have a place to critisize you. But, I have read your work in this past. I just did not want to see you fall into those begining writer's traps after all the great stuff you've posted. Although i must admit. It was satisfying to read the arbiter killing the brute like that. Also, if you guys get the chance to read my latest fanfic, the Ark, then the revised one. I would really like some feedback. They are recent ones.

MERGED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: