HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Death's Grey Land -- Section IV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: In Death's Grey Land -- Section IV Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

In Death's Grey Land -- Section IV
Posted by J. D. Ford (fordyman@comcast.net)
24 July 2008, 10:15 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=J._D._Ford0724082215181.html
Phædrus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, J. D., you won this week's Fic Pick!
http://hboff.bungie.org/viewtopic.php?t=5488
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Fic Pick, JD.

Where to begin? This was a very long chapter in a very long series. It reminded me somewhat of Azrael's minutemen series in that is features an ensemble cast of characters and a story arch which is both long and broad. I have always been of the opinion that Azrael had the most sustained example of a sprawling yet fluid narrative - and given the number of entries of Minutmen, the mantle must remain his - but he certainly has a competitor in you, JD. The mulitple perspectives of the same scene as shown in this chapter was very skillfully done - the narrative was lightning fast yet always directed and fluid. Great job.

The fleshing out of your characters was excellent. Certainly one got a great sense of the human characters, especially Leonidas and Maria. Yet the more impressive feat was your characterization of the Covenant. I have to say, I really felt sorry for the Elites upon their betrayal, and more particularly for Undakree as it seemed he was trapped by both the Brutes and the Sentinels. You did not resort to making the Brutes fools, either, and 'Karnamee chastizes himself for assuming as much. Insodoing you made the Covenant, the consummate "bad-guys," simply another part of the narrative; neither good nor bad, merely pursuing their own objectives in a manner that makes sense to them.

Add to all this a writing style which brings the ideas to life and immaculate GPS, and you have a piece of work that undeniably deserves its Gold. Great job - loved it.

- Arthur
J. D. Ford

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the generous comments, Arthur. I completely agree with you on Az's Minutemen series. It represents an example of incredibly vivid, realistic storytelling spanning an impressive period of time. Quite frankly, the chapters I've read thus far have served as no small amount of inspiration for the completion of my own work.

I can't really consider myself Az's competitor, but rather a comrade-in-arms. We just happened to pick the same long trench to fight in.

I'm glad you enjoyed Section IV. That kind of reader response makes all the writing more than worth the effort.

~J. D. Ford
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another enjoyable read, J.D. Again, I enjoyed the Covenant perspectives a lot, and Abject Cipher is a lot of fun. An even crazier Guilty Spark. I liked the suggestion that Cortana and Athena 'met', and I found the idea of a construct-operative interesting. Oddly enough, I was toying with a similar idea for a story, but that's a long way off. And I genuinely underestimated the Brutes. I didn't expect that trick.

Looking forward to the next part, especially where the Elites come in. Nice work. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: