HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protocols: Installation 05, Chapter 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Protocols: Installation 05, Chapter 1 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Protocols: Installation 05, Chapter 1
Posted by UNSC Trooper (unsctrooper@hotmail.com)
1 July 2008, 9:09 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=UNSC_Trooper0701082109481.html
Jake Trommer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Trooper, that was impressive; the way you showed the politics amongst the UNSC HighCom was great.

Parangoski was a little more benign than I thought she should be, but other than that, the characterization was great.
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good piece, Trooper.

I was thinking on Paragonski, and I think that, even those she's mean, I don't think she would get into any sort of argument, especially considering the information she's giving away, and I like that you noticed that.

I think, at some points, however, you needed a bit more detail than you gave. But that's it.

-pats Trooper on shoulder- Good piece.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
UNSC Trooper

Location: Overlooking a rebel hideout from an orbiting UEG patrol frigate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I realize this wasn't very juicy, as shown by the Fic Pick. I pretty much screwed up the pacing. Oh and yeah, Parangoski is a bit out of character - even when she's speaking to the man that would later become the supreme commander of all UNSC forces ... or who is believed to be that. I portrayed her as being the more "think before you talk" type. Wink

This series is complicated, even though it doesn't trot over canon. Quite on the contrary. If you've ever noticed all the human bodies and ammunition on Delta Halo you know what I'm talking about.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I told you I'd read this or not, but I've finally gotten around to it. It's an alright piece, but it's very obviously a setup chapter, and that takes away from it a bit. Everyone seems to be going through the motions just to get the ball rolling and the action started. Not a bad thing, but neither is it terribly exciting.

My real issue with this, though, is the dates. This is 2496, and nearly every officer in this story is only a grade or two lower than they will be in fifty years. I find that hard to believe. All the characters save Parangosky seem to be the same age as they are in about 2552. Parangosky seems to be implied as younger, but I'd guess she'd have to be about forty here, maybe older. Hood, on the other hand, seems written as older, when I always got he was in his forties or fifties as of 2552. I never imagined him as old as Paranosky.

I had a few issues with your use of the various officers, too. It's good to try to weave bits of canon together, but here you seem to be stretching it. Every major officer from 2552 is here, all at an ONI meeting, when the only one who's for sure an ONI officer is Parangosky. Hood's just Chairman of the Security Committee and Admiral of the Home Fleet, his involvement with ONI isn't direct. It just kind of seems like a Who's Who in the UNSC Brass, and it kind of strains believability. This whole intro would have worked much better with just Parangosky and maybe Ackerson, and all the rest original characters, IMO.

So this was alright as a premise. Not great, but alright. The dates and the officers used stuck out at me the most, though, and not in a good way. It's too late to change that, but in the future it'd be great if you could clarify their ages, at least as you see them. I'll be following this still, too see where you go with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with kr-1426 on most of the stuff but one thing makes no sense. At the beginning you said she was programmed to attend the meeting, is she a robot like Lopez in RedvsBlue?

"This doesn't seem physically possible!", Micky, RedvsBlue The Blood Gulch Chronicles
Azathoth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col. Knadan wrote:
I'm with kr-1426 on most of the stuff but one thing makes no sense. At the beginning you said she was programmed to attend the meeting, is she a robot like Lopez in RedvsBlue?

"Programmed" means "scheduled."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: