HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Infiltration of the Infestation Prt2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Infiltration of the Infestation Prt2 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Infiltration of the Infestation Prt2
Posted by Halochief89 (Halochief89@hotmail.com)
6 June 2008, 10:12 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Halochief890606082212551.html
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of morbid curiousity, do you preview your story before you finally post it? When they put up the screen that shows you what your story looks like, do you see it? Does it look like something you'd want to read? Is it not an imposing block of text?

I'm sure your heart is in the right place and you just want your stuff to get read, but kid, if you don't take the time to FORMAT your story, NO ONE will want to read it. It's as simple as putting indent code in the entry form. Indent code is the word indent with brackets...so: [indent] and you've got yourself a much better-looking story.

Further, I know you're probably really excited that you got several chapters written and you want to know RIGHT NOW what people think of it, but if it's written poorly, or if there's things that you might have overlooked, or if you just want to improve with some healthy constructive criticism, DO NOT post three chapters at once. Frankly, you screwed yourself with the text wall of doom, which already leads me to believe that reading the next two chapters will be a daunting task as well.

Just...learn. And hope that someone braves that imposing mass of blocks and reads it.
Halochief89

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did not write this in the text box of HBO but in Microsoft Word I should have noticed the way it was placed. Because in other sites this has been posted it was in good position for that Im extremely sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna second that motion by Az there. It's good that you're writing in a word processor - as that very much assists spelling mistakes and such - but that's only part of the process.

The submission system here may take a bit of getting used to, but do make sure to take full advantage of the preview feature. That's what your readers will see, and the better presented it is, the more appealing it will be to the eye. Take that into account when you're posting.

Coding, as Azrael pointed out, is an important feature. However, before you even include coding features, first just make sure to space out your paragraphs so that they are defined and separate, instead of blending together in a large and quite imposing mass of text. The two main methods of doing so begin with just spacing paragraphs with a single space between each, or you could leave no space between paragraphs, as long as you are including an indentation at the beginning of each to define them as separate.

Anyway, that's the step that you need to conquer first. After that you can begin to focus on the more technical aspects of writing. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: