HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan Fic Pick of the Week (May 23-30)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Fan Fic Pick of the Week (May 23-30) Reply with quote

NINE pieces! With a picture in one of them! Someone hold my drink!

The cool thing about this update is just how diverse it is in terms of styles, and most of them are pretty good in quality. There's some great stuff that upholds canon as the letter of the law, and there's other great pieces that tell canon to go F itself. I find that to be generally good. For more on the topic, head over to the Writer's Guild and have a healthy discussion about canon and how it does or doesn't apply to your story.

Enough time wasted. WINNERS!

Worth Reading: Harold's: Paint Thinner and Double Malt by Phaedrus
Always interesting exercise to tell a story only through dialouge. Phae's made some good progress on this series.

Honorable Mention: A Night's Rest by Useful Dave
Kid's making an impression: This is my first time reading emerging author Useful Dave, and I'm intrigued by his style. I think he paints an excellent battlefield picture and really SHOWS us what's going on inside his action scenes. I like how he gets inside the mind of Johnson when it comes to dealing with AIs. Finally, it's refreshing to have a character really annoyed when it comes to AIs, instead of treating them with reverence. I like what I see from Dave, and I'll be reading more of him.

What didn't stick: Maybe it's me, but I couldn't quite follow what Dave was trying to do with the sleep/wake/dream of the Captain. I thought the repeating of sentences was a cool touch in a drifting off kind of way, but I just found myself getting a bit lost.

Second Place: Undeniably a Tragic Universe of Tie-died Proportions, Chapter 1 by Grantix Techno
Wait, what's the title?: Ignoring how funny that title is, Techno has a real, very natural sense of dialouge that I absolutely love. Combined with the fact that I totally believe his characters and they're totally defined, I think there's an excellent foundation for what can be a great series.

I'm not worried yet, but...: I'm interested to see what Techno will do with action. Hopefully we'll see the characters built up before the first shots get fired, but you never know. There's been a whole lot of heartbreak after promising first chapters, so I'll be checking future updates to see what Techno's bringing to the table.

And now, your winner:

Fic Pick of the Week: K7-49 by UNSC Trooper
Time and edits pay off: There are few folks around these days that immerse themselves in canon and the Haloverse more than UNSC Trooper. These stories are always among my favorites: take one bit that's pretty much glossed over by the novels or games and turn it into a REAL story. This has it all: Spartans being Spartans, UNSC administration drama, epic engagements, and an ending that gives so much more depth to the beginning of Ghosts of Onyx.

In the same way that Jillybean's Priestess made me care about The Arbiter, so has Trooper made me care about Spartan-IIIs. I REALLY liked the whole TACCOM system of sending orders and topographical intelligence to other teammates through a system. You really SAW the battle through the Spartans' eyes. You know what they can do...and occasionally Trooper will remind you these Spartans are 13 years old. Scary stuff. Masterfully done. This piece took a lot of time to write and polish, and it shows.

Who do you think you are, J.D. Ford?: But here's why new readers won't fully appreciate this piece: THEY'LL NEVER FINISH IT. It's very long, and while I will never gripe about piece length, newer readers may get frustrated with what they see as a never-ending story. It's not the worst thing in the world to break a story into two parts. Just saying.

Also, I felt like the epic scope of the battle had a casualty in the descriptions. Most of the time I had an image of the battle in my mind, but the first bit with the reactors really didn't reach me. Maybe it's me, but I just couldn't picture it. Also, the Ackerson bit in the middle, while an effective bridge, was definitely the weakest of the scenes. It's really hard to get those USNC blowhards to sound like real people, but I just didn't find myself as invested in the real human characters as the Spartan-IIIs, which is very surprising for me.

At any rate, a superb story and worthy of all of your time. Read, enjoy, and tell me what I got wrong. Discussion is always important.

Cheers!
Azrael
Phædrus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mention, Az. Smile
UNSC Trooper

Location: Overlooking a rebel hideout from an orbiting UEG patrol frigate.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. I can't believe it ... I won the pick. Shocked Thanks for the feedback, Az, and it's good to have you back.

Last edited by UNSC Trooper on Wed May 28, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phædrus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a contest, remember, just an acknowledgment of good writing.
fallschirmjager

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phædrus wrote:
It's not a contest, remember, just an acknowledgment of good writing.

And UNSC got the highest award!!

Laughing
Phædrus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Razz
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you doing the Pick again, even if just for this week, Az. Mind if I post the link on the HBO forums?

Edit: Nevermind, Trooper got it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: