HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Executor's Task
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: The Executor's Task Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

The Executor's Task
Posted by Zanzibaked (some_dope@hotmail.com)
23 November 2004, 5:55 AM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=zanzibaked.1123040555331.html
Phædrus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it's going to be great. This relatively simple plot introduction sounds like it's going to blossom into something greater than all of the rest of the crap in this section. This had better be good. I want to see it reach the upper levels of the writing hierarchy... In other words: don't make it suck like 90% of the stuff here does. OK? Good. There were a few spelling and gramatical errors but otherwise it wasn't too bad.
9/10
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta say that the Fan Fiction place is climbing once again!

Some Coding would be appreciated, but you're doing quite well. Remember to proofread, and include more detail. But you're well ahead of the game. Remember, we can't see your plot and settings yet, be sure to make those clear next one.

Good Luck.

- Dave

Post Script - I hope the next one will be out soon, but take your time. Enjoy writing, and have a few friends read it over before you continue.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
Solidus Snake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job for your first fic. Maybe HBO Fan Fiction is coming into another Golden Age? I really hope so, that would make me so happy to see so many good writers with a great future here at HBO. This was good to, kept simple enough for the reader to follow with no problem. But other than that, use the Sacred Code of HBO. Just click on the Use for Directions link in my sig or fan fic submition forum. And it is always a good idea, no matter how good you are to have some kind of editor.

Keep up the great work and good luck.

Welcome to HBO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solidus Snake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I got it backwards, Directions for Use is what its called.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'Nosolee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be so great, a second golden age of HBOFF, almost like the summer of '03.
Solidus Snake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get a hell yeah?
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all guys, I think that the Golden Age is coming, very very soon. We will pass down this tale onto our children, and our children to their children. None of us will be left behind!

But, to the story, I thought it was excellent. First, I orginally thought that you confused the Arbiter with the Executor, from Starcraft. But you got a huge plot that no one has invested on. I liked it

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fridge door will be quite full in a matter of time. I don't have enough magnets to go around.

For those of you who wonder, "What does a fridge door have to do with fiction?"

Well, the ficks I like get printed off and stuck on the Fridge Door of Fame. The ficks I really like get printed off and read out loud before I go to bed.

So, if your fick makes the "Dave's Fridge Door award," you've got the braggin' rights!

- Dave.

Post Script - Since I don't have enough magnets, perhaps I should keep an online list. *SIGH*

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
Solidus Snake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I ever make it? And that's not a bad idea. Mind if steal it?
Nick Kang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was awesome. You matched the Prophet's personality flawlessly, using complicated words. Please don't screw this up.

Another Golden Age? I wasn't around for the first, so I only hope I can contribute to the next one.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden age? I think that I actually arived at the end of the last one. Hmm. Perhaps I will be part of another. It is a nice thought.

Now, the first thing that I noticed you could have used was the Code. It would just help with a smoother, better formatted look to things. And, as you should know, the better you format and make your story look, the easier and more enjoyable that story will be.
As for your plot; very nice. You set down a situation that will provide a fair amount of action for you to write about. However. the way you did it leaves soem things to be decided. Perhaps the nearest and most obvious climax would be when the MC and this Elite of yours meet, but make sure to have much more than that, or things will get old really fast. But, I'm sure you have something in mind, knowing how H2 went.

Now for your writing. It was pretty good. Your dialogue was nearly dead on. It matched the profile of the Prophet and a good Elite well.
But, you still have a couple things to work on. Flow, for one. Make sure that, out of dialogue, all of your words (details and everything else) flows together smoothly so that it is a good read for the eye. Smooth the rough spots out and what not.
And while you're at it, add some more detail in there. What you were doing there was okay, but it was more on the side of telling us about your story than showing us your story. Describe and explain things more. If you think it necissary, get inside the head of your main character a little more. Give us some brief bits of their past. Or, describe the setting and characters more physically. Just let us in on all of the little bits that put us in the action or non-action. Give it some emotion.

Overall, it seemed to me kinda like a prologue, but not written like one. Almost like it was somewhere inbetween. Fix that. Make sure that you have a defined writing style and then stick to what works best for you.
Watch that grammar and spelling, also. Keep practicing and working your hardest.
russ687

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, even though you didn't use the Code. My first series (A long one at that), had the same formatting as yours, so it's not nessicarily a bad thing (it's still easy to read) but stepping up to the Code certiantly helps. But overall, nothing for me to complain about.

The writing was good, only one mistake by my count; excellent job. This is one of the few stories current that I am excited about reading the enxt part.

-Russ
Zofinda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my first post on HBO but ive been a reader of all FanFic
since the release of the first Halo...im not sure why i waited this long to
post but anyway....

Great story, it sure would be nice to see another "Golden Age" -I
remember the great series and even some poems we used to get on here-keep it up Zanzibaked
9/10
thedarkfire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost didn't look at this one, but I'm glad I changed my mind. Use of the code would make everyone happier (as you can see).

Let's start a drive to send magnets to Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: