HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brother

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Brother Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Brother
Posted by kr142616 (kr142616@aim.com)
7 June 2007, 11:30 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=kr1426160607072330021.html
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I wrote about a year ago, and have been fine-tuning pretty much since then. I thought it was decent, but I'd like to try and improve it, and see what you all think.
Halo Fanatic 2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, you look like a nice new addition to the site, keep it up! Better than most of my crap anyway but it was a very entertaining read. In fact, reading this shows me what I need to work on. Well done. Didn't see any GPS errors either as a result of that tweaking. Very Happy

9/10

-HF06
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very Happy I have an idea for a sequel I've been toying around with for a while that I never really worked on much, but if enough people like this I'll probably try to get it finished.
Halo Fanatic 2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they might. Let's see what the other people have to think. I think it was enjoyable, to say the least even if it was a bit short (I can talk, my stories are barely over the word count specifications Wink ).

-HF06
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've just won yourself a 'First time coder' award, something I don't give out often these days. Congratulations.

I noticed a semicolon in the first sentence of your story, which isn't something I see very often. I suppose it would've been better than using a comma and splicing it, and it allows me to continue going the way a period wouldn't. Thumbs up to you on that, I like that there. I don't usually see many people use colons and semicolons often, sometimes breaking up sentences that otherwise would've flowed just perfectly otherwise, and sometimes doing comma splices which look absolutely terrible. Double congrats, I'm starting to like this already.

The second paragraph I noticed you immediately decided to change pace and slow down, which added a nice contrast to the semicolon and colon use in the first paragraph. I expected to see suspense build, especially as he gripped his rifle and began getting sentimental. Now, the only problem I noticed was that this short, simple sentence structure continues throughout the rest of the story, making things seem perpetually abrupt and spaced-out. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds great, but when it's done for too long it becomes monotonous, and it really cuts out the action scene, which, instead of hitting like "bam! Fight!" somehow comes along like 'ho-hum.' If 'ho-hum' was the feeling you wanted to generate, that was the right way to do it, by all means, but something disagrees with me: an alien ambush, live-fire, even if you've got a Spartan on your side, and especially when you don't want to fight like that, would hardly come along as 'ho-hum.'

Welcome to HBO. You're on there pretty solid, but need a little refinement. Hope you'll stay around here to finish this, you're off to a good start.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I see what you mean about the sentences, they are a little choppy, especially near the beginning. How should I fix them, though? Combine a few together where it makes sense?

And the ambush was supposed to be underwelming. I was figuring that a Grunt patrol wouldn't be much trouble for a Spartan, but I didn't really do much with the marine. I guess I kinda overdid it and ended it a little too quickly.

And thanks for the welcome. Smile
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of editing, and rewrote and expanded the ambush a bit. I took your advice, Dave, and tried to make the sentences a little less choppy. I don't think rewrites are allowed to be submitted, though, so if you're interested in reading, you can message me and I'll email it, or something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: