HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter III:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Chapter III: Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Chapter III:
Posted by J-117 (gjm_25@yahoo.com)
25 May 2007, 3:51 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=J-1170525070351541.html
J-117

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the chapter title should be "Hell On Earth." I don't know why it wasn't included, but all well. Enjoy!
Azathoth

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this was really long for only one chapter. However, it wasn't bad, so I'll let that slide. You neatly avoided the trap of making up SUPER MARINES, so that's another point for you. I don't really have the time to dissect this and point out every little thing I liked/didn't like, but I did notice that you listed the M247 as a .30 caliber weapon. It's actually .50-cal.
J-117

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M247 was listed as .30 Cal in the Halo Library

You may find the link here

I used that as my primary source for weapons research in regards to Halo.

Thank you for your comment and I hope that you continue to enjoy Immortal!

Cheers,

- J-117
Azathoth

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Halo Library contains many omissions, unsourced statements, and things they just plain made up. The Portable Machinegun in Halo 3 fires .30 rounds. The M247 fires .50 rounds.
J-117

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I will be sure to change it then.

However do you have any proof that its 50 cal?
Azathoth

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Halopedia lists it as .50. That's the only source I could find, and that statement isn't sourced either. However, I'm pretty sure that it's based on the statement in the Metropolis opening cutscene: "It blew right through us. Rockets, fifty-cal, didn't do a thing." Since the only other .50-caliber weapon in the game is the pistol, I assume she means a turret.
J-117

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. .50 cal it is then.

Btw, the LAAG along with the Sniper is also .50 cal if memory serves. Just fyi.

Cheers,

- J
Azathoth

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the sniper is more like 14.5 mm, which is a bit more than .50. But the LAAG is .50, you're right.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also other '.50-calibre' cartridges I have seen, .500 Linebaugh, .500 A-Square, .510 Wells, .50 Macmillian, the ever-popular .50 Action Express, .500/465 Nitro Express... I have a .460 Weatherby case lying around in my room that I converted to .500 A-Square by reaming up the neck. But the .50 BMG has always been 'the big gun' and it's more common than than a lot of these old cannons. Out of the Boys Antitank Rifle, the PTRD, and the Destroyer, the .50 BMG is the most popular and probably the only survivor.

There is an old Russian PTRD antitank system, still in its unaltered condition for sale at Ellwood Epps about a five or four hour drive from my place. It does not have a price tag - if you need to ask how much it is you can't afford it. The PTRD fires 14.5x114mm ammunition.

Ammunition is scarce, and some variants can't be imported into Canada due to the ban on cartridges specifically designed to pierce armour, and others can't be imported because of the embargo on mercuric priming. The cases are non-reloadable, being berdan-primed. Dies could probably be custom-built to fit it, but the berdan priming is a problem.

The PTRD system weighs close to forty pounds, is outfitted with a muzzle brake, and in spite of that, I would guess recoil would still be very sharp, very severe, and very strong. To get an idea of the size of the PTRD antitank system, think of something the size of a can of red bull bottlenecked down to something a bullet the size of a man's thumb. A .340 Weatherby is a fraction of the size and is already much more than what most shooters can take.

One of the stranger weapons I have seen is the .55 Boys Antitank rifle - I have also seen them been converted to .50 BMG (12.7x99mm). It is a shorter, fatter version of the .50 BMG, and arguably I would assume its precursor. Like the PTRD, Boys antitank rifle rounds are berdan-primed and the cartridge is now obsolete because those old Boys Antitank Rifles aren't produced anymore.

Another one I have seen is the 12.7x108mm Destroyer. The Russian version, sort of like the .50 BMG, but slightly longer. If I could find some of those I could probably build a chamber reamer for it and convert an existing single-shot .50 BMG rifle to 12.7x108mm Destroyer. It's got about a centimetre of extra space, meaning I could probably squeeze quite a few more grains of powder in there if the cases are reloadable, and get a couple hundred more feet per second off it, which could mean a flatter trajectory at long ranges. Not saying that's a good idea, because that'd be increasing the pressure and there's a limit to what barrels will take.

I consider the PTRD impractical nowadays, seeing that shaped copper charges can penetrate far more steel far more quickly and more cheaply, and the PTRD is also a pretty heavy gun, and good luck trying to carry around two dozen cartridges all day. It would be a complete waste to use one against organic targets, seeing as there is only so fast a body can fall.

Same with .50 BMG... against a light vehicle, maybe. Against anything less that's a waste of a cartridge. Interestingly enough they aren't always cracked up to what they are. FMJ ones sure will penetrate alloy engine blocks, but although they can crack a cast-iron V8 they don't always go through. Then again, we're talking just FMJ match bullets, not armour-piercing ones. I would try lathe-turning a solid brass bullet and attempting the test on a cast-iron V8 if I had a .50 BMG rifle and more time, sadly I don't.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: