HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramblings of the Crumbling Man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Ramblings of the Crumbling Man Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Ramblings of the Crumbling Man
Posted by CoLd BlooDed (broken_lizard12@hotmail.com)
31 January 2007, 9:44 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=CoLd_BlooDed0131070944511.html
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I think I can discern the Halo connection, although there was nothing explicit. I like the idea of "the crumbling Man." Nice use of imagery, that. He's crumbling and fading even though Man never thought that it would happen to him. How could so much history come to a complete and utter end? It never seemed possible until it happened. At least, that's what I got out of it. The only thing that seemed off to me was the use of the word "hath." It didn't seem to fit. And if that's all that hath gone ill with your poem, thou hast done well indeed Very Happy

C.T. Clown
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, thank thou for the comment, Chuckles. Wink

And yeah, I tried to avoid using any real Halo reference, I wanted this to be a poem that could have multiple meanings with no visible strings to the video game universe. You nailed the big one, so good job on that.

Just a note, I wasn't really expecting to post this, I was just looking over the fan fics when I saw that pretty little submission form button, so I clicked it and wrote down this poem, all in the span of ten minutes. I wanted to do something different, something... Severian. Razz

Thanks again, Chuckles, and I agree that the word was out of place, but remember, I went... Severian.

Yes, bad excuse, I don't know what I was thinking. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wanted to do something different, something... Severian.

And well done, because my very first thought was that it sounded like Sev's writing. In fact, I almost put that in my comment. If it was Sev, however, wouldn't it have been more like the crumbling Couch or the crumbling Ottoman? Or maybe The Great Big Crumbling Couch, a children's show hosted by a psychotic Clown with big orange hair and MJOLNIR armor Very Happy

C.T. Clown
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And well done, because my very first thought was that it sounded like Sev's writing.

Well, that's good. I actually do have quite a bit of originality in my veins, you know. Wink

Quote:
Or maybe The Great Big Crumbling Couch, a children's show hosted by a psychotic Clown with big orange hair and MJOLNIR armor

You know, that actually sounds like a great idea... let me call my accomplice at the film industry. Why beat around the bush when it comes to educating small children via television? I say scare the SHIT out of them instead! Twisted Evil I like your thinking, clown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, that's good. I actually do have quite a bit of originality in my veins, you know.

Indeed you do Cold.

That was quite interesting. Everything can be lost within even the most precious seconds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Guardian
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flood.
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often find it difficult to comment on poems. There is so much artistic liberty involved that it is not easy to judge its inherent quality.

This was quite different. It was probably the best poem I've ever read here. Great imagery, an excellently conveyed theme, and, with a few exceptions, a consistent rhyming scheme. It was very well put together all round. Bravo, sir - poetry is not an easy thing to do this well.

- Arthur
russ687

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: TBOTG? Sheesh, man! Reply with quote

You wrote:
With thoughts diverted,
The crumbling Man sighs,
His mind converted but his body hath died.

Seeing how you stringently followed rhyming conventions earlier, I was a bit surprised why you didn't, in the last line shown above, write "His mind converted as his body dies," or something to that effect.

Otherwise, I thought this was good. Poetry is not an area I claim to have much knowledge in, so I can't say much other than it was well flowing and had good content. I felt that you covered maybe too much here, as if this was more of a "general" perspective, but again, nonetheless good.

-R
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sentinel wrote:
That was quite interesting. Everything can be lost within even the most precious seconds.

Thanks for the comment, and that's completely true. Even the largest, most powerful being can be killed in seconds. And are you the Sentinel that used to be on the old system?

Shadow wrote:
Flood.

Nope. Wink

Arthur wrote:
This was quite different. It was probably the best poem I've ever read here. Great imagery, an excellently conveyed theme, and, with a few exceptions, a consistent rhyming scheme. It was very well put together all round. Bravo, sir - poetry is not an easy thing to do this well.

Thanks a lot, Arthur, this means a lot. Poetry is always something I've excelled at. And the consistent rhyming scheme, I know which parts you're referring to, but I didn't really lay down a specific ABAB pattern - this was free verse, as you can tell by the stanzas that completely switch tune. Your comment is appreciated. Smile

Russ wrote:
I was a bit surprised why you didn't, in the last line shown above, write "His mind converted as his body dies," or something to that effect.

Really? I surprised you? Were you shocked, amazed... perhaps even a little flabbergasted? Surprised

More seriously, though, read what I wrote and you wrote - I think, if you read it anything like I did, that it doesn't flow as well (concerning yours). And awhile 'dies' it just as suitable as 'died', they still have the same effect (died is an irregular rhyme, just like 'path' and 'back'). Only thing I didn't like was how dies implied that his body is still in the process, whereas died implies that it's already gone.

Russ wrote:
I felt that you covered maybe too much here, as if this was more of a "general" perspective, but again, nonetheless good.

I'm going to have to ask you to clarify 'general' perspective. Wink And I'm not going to back away from this one, I thought the length was suiting. First it has the last words of the Man, then the thoughts, then another passage concerning his body (which if you notice is right in the middle of the poem), then thoughts again, and then his inevitable death. I understand where you're coming from, though.

Thank you everyone! Very Happy
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. A little gratifying to see mine own name so prominently discussed--which proves Vec40's point, I guess.

Excellent poem, man. And I can definitely empathize with that feeling of ripping out a poem, all on the submission page, and clicking the 'submit' button. I do it all the time.

By the way, it would have been a crumbling sofa. Just sounds more classy then 'couch.' Smile
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sev wrote:
A little gratifying to see mine own name so prominently discussed--which proves Vec40's point, I guess.

If you want to look at it that way, sure. Razz

Sev wrote:
Excellent poem, man. And I can definitely empathize with that feeling of ripping out a poem, all on the submission page, and clicking the 'submit' button.

Thanks a lot. I love that feeling, too... it's so raw, so fresh, so... unedited! Surprised

I think Le Crumbling Sofa would suffice, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: