HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stories of a Soundtrack -- Part 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Stories of a Soundtrack -- Part 3 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Stories of a Soundtrack -- Part 3
Posted by The Meep (HaloFanatic101@yahoo.com)
21 December 2006, 7:58 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=The_Meep1221061958371.html
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this was very good. I liked your Covenant perspective, you did the formal dialogue of the Elites well. The description of the antimatter bomb's inner workings was good, too.

The only real problem I had with this was some of the zero-G stuff. Firing weapons in zero gravity would send the marines all over the place. Minor detail. Another one, though, is about the MAC platform spinning. By the time of 2552 I don't think the UNSC uses spinning of their ships for gravity. I think it's one of the things they've stolen from the Covenant. That's not official, though, just my own conclusions, so it's not important.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kr-1426 wrote:
The only real problem I had with this was some of the zero-G stuff. Firing weapons in zero gravity would send the marines all over the place.
Not exactly. One scientific law, I forget which one, states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The blast might move the weapon, but it wouldn't be powerful enough to move the marines all over the place.
Phædrus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... Hehe. Razz

Ever fired a high powered rifle? Or hell, even a carbine? That's a pretty decent amount of recoil. If you fire an M1 Garand and you're not holding it tight it'll give you a pretty decent bruise. A BR55, which is supposedly a 9x33mm, would have recoil midway between that of an AK and a Garand. That'll push you around quite a bit, especially firing bursts.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phædrus wrote:
Uh... Hehe. Razz

Ever fired a high powered rifle? Or hell, even a carbine? That's a pretty decent amount of recoil. If you fire an M1 Garand and you're not holding it tight it'll give you a pretty decent bruise. A BR55, which is supposedly a 9x33mm, would have recoil midway between that of an AK and a Garand. That'll push you around quite a bit, especially firing bursts.

Close, it's 9.5mm. I'd imagine there's greater recoil reduction in the future, but still. Anyways, it's just a minor gripe. The story was quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, it was just the way kr-1426 wrote it made it seem as though they would shoot and be blown an extreme distance. There would obviously be recoil, and no I haven't fired a high powered weapon before, but I don't think that even with zero-Gs you would be thrown around alot.
Phædrus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do love to drag out a point... Wink

Reduction of recoil means reduction of power, and vice-versa. Simple physics. "Each action has an equal and opposite reaction." The damage a bullet causes comes from its energy, and the way that energy is concentrated into a small point. Due to Newton's law, the gun will come back at you with the same amount of energy. However, since the butt of the gun has more surface area than the tip of a bullet, it doesn't hurt you nearly as much as the bullet hurts the other guy. The only two ways to reduce recoil are these: increase the mass of the gun, or decrease the energy of the bullet. Those are the only ways. Recoil pads and fancy mercury vial crap they have on sniper rifles just spread the recoil out over a longer time - all that energy comes right back at you no matter what. So even with all that "recoil reducing" stuff, a shot will still push you back, and god help you if you're using an SMG. Wink

And I'm out.

EDIT:
Quote:
Maybe, it was just the way kr-1426 wrote it made it seem as though they would shoot and be blown an extreme distance. There would obviously be recoil, and no I haven't fired a high powered weapon before, but I don't think that even with zero-Gs you would be thrown around alot.

Yes you would. One shot wouldn't send you flying - hell, a half dozen wouldn't. But it will set you moving, and it'd throw off your aim a lot. A LOT. Since the butt of the gun isn't against your center of mass, you'd actually start spinning. Try aiming with that. Razz
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking muzzle brakes and stuff, but now that I think of it, that wouldn't too much. Plus, there's no visible muzzle brake on the BR55.

And Meep, even though we seem to be making a big deal of this, it doesn't detract from the story. at least, not in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we're just military/scientific accuracy freaks. Wink
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phædrus wrote:
Yeah, we're just military/scientific accuracy freaks. Wink

Well, I can deal with the inaccuracies in some scifi. It comes with being a Star Wars fan. Some of the shit they come up with is simply mind-bogglingly dumb, though. The military stuff bugs me more, though, but most people here tend to do pretty well with that. I remember one guy mixing up corporal and colonel. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kr-1426 wrote:
I remember one guy mixing up corporal and colonel. Confused
I think I read that one too. You remember what story it was?
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan006 wrote:
kr-1426 wrote:
I remember one guy mixing up corporal and colonel. Confused
I think I read that one too. You remember what story it was?

It was over at the UNSC Chronicles. I think it was called Helljumpers of Hades. The story was alright, but that part just really confused me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a colonel was leading a squad of Helljumpers. Razz Then he started tossing in other people's ranks, and I figured out what he was doing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, not the same story then, never mind.
The Meep

Location: Auburn, Maine E-mail me if there are any nearby LANs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

Well, upon rereading my story before posting, I did notice that, and smacked myself in the forehead. I'm a sticker for realism, but I missed that. Besides, with very few exceptions, the Marines are braced against a wall, crate, etc.

The only thing I noticed about the lack of recoil was when Fora got flown off into the Covenant formation in null G. She was firing with a rifle the whole time. I forgot that the resulting recoil would've actually propelled her away from the Covenant formation (and probably saved her life).

Also, about the MAC stopping it's rotation. I figured, since in Halo: First Strike Haverson stated that some UNSC were undergoing experimental artificial gravity trials, the tech hadn't been fully developed for wide spread refit. I also doubted that the engineers would have fitted such a crucial installation with experimental, and possibly faulty, tech when there was a perfectly safe alternative that worked well (spinning).

And kr? Thanks for the comment on my Covenant speech. I've always preferred writing from the Covenant's perspective: so much more room for improvisation, y'know? And I also love the Elite's personal honor and warrior's code, as well as the way they speak. So poetic and artistic; it's just amazing.

Well, thanks for all the comments! This is just awesome; finally getting feedback on my writing. Very Happy

~I~
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meep wrote:
And kr? Thanks for the comment on my Covenant speech. I've always preferred writing from the Covenant's perspective: so much more room for improvisation, y'know? And I also love the Elite's personal honor and warrior's code, as well as the way they speak. So poetic and artistic; it's just amazing.

Yeah, writing from a Covenant perspective is fun. I had a whole story written out about the heretic leader's backstory, and I thought it was pretty good, but then Bungie went and published some backstory for him. On the back of an action figure's packaging, no less. Mad I never got around to reworking it so it fits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: