HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legacy: A 500,000-Year Old Saga of Guns & Lightsabers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Legacy: A 500,000-Year Old Saga of Guns & Lightsabers Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Legacy: A 500,000-Year Old Saga of Guns & Lightsabers
Posted by SeverianofUrth (SeverianofUrth)
24 February 2006, 2:27 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=SeverianofUr0224061427201.html
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words.

- What the FUQ?!

Oh wait, that's four. Oh, no, I mean, wait, add eighteen, carry the five, subtract by the square root of negative one, then find out what plus eighteen, fifty, subtracted by the square root of negative one is, then add the imaginary numbers like eleventeen, eighty-ten, and all that, then run it through the equation and substitute for the value of y, as in "Y do we care?" which no doubt was ripped off of Calvin and Hobbes, then plug in the values of the theory of relativity, and that should give us the answer, which of course, is six.

Okay, six words, then.

Hey Sev? Uhm... are you going to take this into a serious kind of series or is it a humour/joke submission parodying the poorly done crossovers we've seen fly across HBO?

Sorry, I'm kind of in a mentally induced stupor at the moment, and my judgement is impaired by incredible amounts of alcohol.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely written I think, attempt at a crossover very well. Looking forward to part two am I. In all seriousness though, I must say I liked this part
Quote:
He stared at the frozen form. Why did he have such a bad feeling about this?
Whether a reference to the movies or not, I chuckled a bit. Maybe I'm just delving too far into things that are really just a plain sentance again... Very Happy.
Peptuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that is how I'd imagine the Master Chief being confronted by some Star Wars alien fellow standing at his cryotube. I actually burst out laughing as he smashed the poor guy's face in. XD

Though I wouldn't exactly think a Jedi would charge in with lightsaber blazing, even after the Chief killed a squad of clones who shot first and then tries to indicate he's not trying to be hostile., but then again, Jedi have different ways of handling things. And of course, the Chief's fight against the Jedi was close to how I'd interpret such a fight to end up, myself, with the Chief barely survivng intact.

Its interesting that you're depicting the Chief as not Force-sensitive, or evenr egistering within the Force; generally, people "of destiny" or with the level of luck that the Chief has tend to be Force-senstitive, though interpretation is always up to the author, and your way is pretty cool.

This is interesting. I look forward to seeing more out of this.
Imperorator_Jon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, Interesting this fight shall be. Yoda and the Cheif duking it out is gonna be interesting. All around a good story. The cheif beating the sheet out of clone troopers is kinda comical when he is bare handed. So is the idea of a Jedi Knight going in to kill the guy outright. But you have to remember, Star Wars folks use durasteel. But then again the cheif was the viewpoint of it all...... All in all:

Point Rating System: 8/10 Feel good mano, feel the force!
New Rating System that I am thinking about dropping: Very Happy Smile
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severian, this was particually excellent in form and verb usage. I'd give you a A+, but I can't.

A little more detail in some areas, like the saber fight, would of been best I think. Then again, you wrote it and I'm just a simple reviewer.

That, however, was probably the only qualm I had about this.

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
Halo Fanatic 2005

Location: The best place ever. So good, I haven't had time to find out where it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was good. One small promblem though:

At the beginning of all STAR WARS films it says: "A long time ago, in galaxy far, far away." This means that your crossover couldn't of taken place 500,000 years to the future.
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe history repeats itself.
(ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, maybe there is a reason why he went into the future, and they went into the past. Like, time wraps itself in another dimension. Besides, it's for fun. I want to see another one, Severian, that's an order. And it's compulsory, so I'll shoot you if you don't follow it. Smile

"My appreciation for being quoted is being masked by my distaste for your incompetence, Gallagher" - Shrumertaor
Idea, Plot, Character, and Forum Signatures
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll assume that you have done away with two things: Long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away. That being understood, I'll continue Very Happy

Excellent. As a rule, I don't like crossovers, but this was of such high quality that I couldn't help myself. I got sucked in right away and never looked back. Your confidence and talent made this as believable as a store bought novel. That is, except for the things mentioned above (long ago, galaxy far away, which I assume you have set aside). Seriously, I could not find a flaw worth mentioning.

But some good things were worth mentioning.

Quote:
He stared at the frozen form. Why did he have such a bad feeling about this?

Great way to bring in that standard line. For some reason I got a real kick out of it.

Quote:
Very strong, too. And some sort of a shielding system around his armor-- do you think it'll repel a lightsaber?" Then the Jedi noticed that the Twi'lek was paralyzed with shock and fear. Sighing, he wondered if he should modulate the Force in such a way to instill cheery feelings in Vrun, but decided that a simple slap to the head-tails would accomplish the same thing.

"Ouch!"

"So do you think his armor can repel a lightsaber/" Dryk asked again.

Nice bit of humor.

Quote:
He decided that he had better things to worry about for now, like survival. He was trapped behind enemy lines, vastly outnumbered, confused and alone, and there was no telling what the next minute might bring. It was a very familiar feeling.

A very familiar feeling indeed! Heck, it's the story of his video-game-cursed life.

I could post more, but let's say that this was top notch material and leave it at that. Can't wait for the conclusion. Dang. It feels almost uncomfortable posting an all-positive review, but I just don't have anything to gripe about. Oh, did I mention that you'd have to do away with long ago and in a galaxy far, far away?

C.T. Clown
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chuckles one-hundred percent, this was great. I'm not a big fan of crossovers either, but my eyes were glued to the screen as soon as the Chief jumped out and bashed the Twi'Leks face in. Laughing Yes, I know, I'm sadistic.

Very well written, I loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Sev? Uhm... are you going to take this into a serious kind of series or is it a humour/joke submission parodying the poorly done crossovers we've seen fly across HBO?

This is utterly serius. And I never misspell.

Quote:

Whether a reference to the movies or not, I chuckled a bit. Maybe I'm just delving too far into things that are really just a plain sentance again... .

Actually, that's what I intended; thanks, man.

Quote:
Its interesting that you're depicting the Chief as not Force-sensitive, or evenr egistering within the Force; generally, people "of destiny" or with the level of luck that the Chief has tend to be Force-senstitive, though interpretation is always up to the author, and your way is pretty cool.

I'm not a big fan of 'Chosen One' type of heroes. I don't mind reading about them, if they are done well, but I would never write about them. And thanks for reading!

Quote:
Yoda and the Cheif duking it out is gonna be interesting

Hell yes.

Quote:
A little more detail in some areas, like the saber fight, would of been best I think. Then again, you wrote it and I'm just a simple reviewer.

As I am God and you my miserable underling? No, just joking--glad to see you back. Thanks for reading, man.

Quote:
At the beginning of all STAR WARS films it says: "A long time ago, in galaxy far, far away." This means that your crossover couldn't of taken place 500,000 years to the future.

'Kay; this will also take care of Chuckle's point, as well. There's actually a very plausible explanation for this, and it involves the chaos theory in conjunction with quantum mechanics as illustrated by Schrodinger and his poor, poor feline friend...

Well, to tell you the truth, I completely forgot about that famous line. But screw them. Thanks for reading, man.

Quote:
could post more, but let's say that this was top notch material and leave it at that. Can't wait for the conclusion. Dang. It feels almost uncomfortable posting an all-positive review, but I just don't have anything to gripe about. Oh, did I mention that you'd have to do away with long ago and in a galaxy far, far away?

Yeah! And yes, I forgot about that past bit, but who cares--Lucas is a hack now, right? Right? Right?

Quote:
I agree with Chuckles one-hundred percent, this was great. I'm not a big fan of crossovers either, but my eyes were glued to the screen as soon as the Chief jumped out and bashed the Twi'Leks face in. Yes, I know, I'm sadistic.

Thanks, Cold. And may I remind you that you have yet to finish Strive to Survive, after two years of waiting?

And again, thanks everyone, for reading. You guys rock.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sev; I guess I was drunk at the moment. Please forgive me; I thought it was the next "PURE ACTIONXX!" kinda sub.

Interesting intro. I like the trailoff. "The Jedi thumbed his lightsaber. Period." Gives us a sense of suspense, huh? Well, it's fairly obvious, but heh.

Good luck on the crossover.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
Mainevent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's assuming that everyone is on track.

Their long time ago could be our present. If you know what I mean.
gruntyking117

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you explain:

1: How did a Human from OUR galaxy, get to the Star Wars galaxy?

2:How did the MC live 5000 years ago? Star Wars (except for the Legacy comics, which are set 100 years in the future of us,) the Star Wars Galaxy takes place long before ours, except for Lucas' movies, which are stated by the NJO stories to have taken about 40 years ago, and the Yuuzhan Vong are the enemies of today in NJO.

3:It's not even worth trying to explain HOW many canons you broke. Sad

Mainevent wrote:
Well, that's assuming that everyone is on track.

Their long time ago could be our present. If you know what I mean.
Nope. Along time ago in their Galaxy runs at the same time for us. 40 years ago is the Empire saga, 4000 years ago the Great Sith Wars took place, and 25,000 years ago, the first Galactic civilizations stood. Legacy takes place in the FUTURE of BOTH of our galaxies of about 140 years. NJO is the same time as the year 1999-2005 Legacy of the Force will take place 2006 and beyond. The similarly named Legacy comics, as stated before are 140 years in both our futures. Clear now?

And, as much of a hack Lucas may be now, there are many great stories that are the new Star Wars. In all of my stories, I place my characters during obscure times, or as a speck in a major conflict so that I don't override canon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: