HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waking the Dead—the conclusion—Permafrost Hell
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Waking the Dead—the conclusion—Permafrost Hell Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Waking the Dead—the conclusion—Permafrost Hell
Posted by Chuckles
27 January 2006, 5:04 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Chuckles0127061704311.html
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do it, so well and so consistently? Somehow, your works are always so freaking satisfying, with tons of gore, angst, betrayal, revenge, honor, anti-honor, death, a very bloody wit, irony, with tons of mystery and just sheer action that never becomes something senseless. How do you do it? There's always this big, goofy, viciously satisfied grin on my face when I read your stuff. I don't get that anywhere else. And you did all this while raising a newborn baby. Oh, god.

You're the single best writer on HBOFF, which, may I remind you, is full of talented writers. Style, wit, grace--you're like William Strunk's dream come true(fine, maybe not).

Twelve thumbs up for this epic conclusion. Words can't describe the awestruck expression on my face when I finished reading. Jesus. [/img]
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chuckles missed his old friend's presence worse than ever...

The word "worst" made me pause to consider whether or not it was the best choice. It works... But I'm not sure if it does so as well as it could have with a different word or, perhaps, different wording.

And once again, a very nice ending. Closed things up, plotwise, very well. And, through and through, I was thoroughly entertained. One of your best chapters out of this series.

Bravo.

Now, get back to work before I'm forced to draw my whip Very Happy
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I haven't been reading this series, God damn it have I been missing out! This was awesome Chuckles, just pure brilliance, congratulations.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sev wrote:
Quote:
Twelve thumbs up for this epic conclusion. Words can't describe the awestruck expression on my face when I finished reading.

Thanks, Sev. You're one of the few really good horror/thriller fanfic writers I've seen, so it means a lot coming from you.

CDW wrote:
Quote:
I'll be honest, I haven't been reading this series, God d*mn it have I been missing out! This was awesome Chuckles, just pure brilliance, congratulations.

Thanks, but I think you would've enjoyed the final chapter a lot more if you'd read all the previous ones. A lot of plot lines were being tied up in this chapter. But, dang, you read this large chapter even though you weren't following this series--and also left a comment? Youda man!

MCC wrote:
Quote:
Now, get back to work before I'm forced to draw my whip

Oh, I'll be doing that right away. I'm not going to start a new series any time soon (probably two months or so) but I have been waiting to have the time to write some short stories, including some additions to my Short Tales of Terror series. In fact, I'll be starting another one of those this weekend. And ever since the baby was born I've had little or no time to do reviews, but now that WTD is completed, I'll be able to do more. I've been doing series work almost constantly since August of 2004, so a couple months of not worrying about who gets killed when and by whom will be nice.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this series. I am especially grateful to those who went to the trouble to write reviews. I would also like to thank the following people for allowing me to use them as characters in my story:

MiNeS Cutlass—One of the best gamers in the GR Frag Pile. Your name worked perfect, and folks, he really is that skilled.
Caleb the Jackal—You made an awesome Spartan. Great character all around. I might have to use you again.
MC's Cousin—By the end of the story, your character became one of my favorites.
Xraf—Another member of the GR Frag Pile who's been in many of my fics. Great guy, too.
Lexicus—A great gamer and founder of the GR Frag Pile. He's been my best friend since very early childhood, and that makes it easy to write the friendship between him and Chuckles. And, just like in the stories, he's usually a little better than I am.
Rhinox—Xraf's actual brother, and you guessed it, another member of the GR Frag Pile. Great gamer and an even better person. Hey, I've gotta give him some love, since he only showed up to be pulverized by a giant Very Happy
CoLd BlooDed—Oh, I loved his character (Kale Sangrefria) and planned a bigger role for him, but . . .
Wiley—Okay, so I made you a somewhat heartless rebel who got his throat slit by yours truly. At least I made him the toughest non-Spartan in the story Very Happy
Azrael—Ahh, my favorite flashback doctor, Sherwood Azrael M.D. Where, oh where have you gone?
Simjanes—Yeah, I made you more evil than the devil, but we both know that you liked it!

There might have been some more, but it was a long series with a lot of characters. For those I missed, thanks to you as well.

C.T. Clown
Caleb the Jackal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Chuckles. Soon if you keep on getting better as you seem to be exponentially doing you will implode.

Good work.

Caleb
LordsFire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckles, you are the ONLY writer of darker stories that I find myself coming back to. Every other writer I read who writes grim and gruesome stories repulses me; but for some reason not you. I'll have to figure out why I think. Kudos for another great tale.
Radont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to the end of your stories is always like getting to the end of a great PC game. I loved every second of the ride, the ending is satisfying, but I feel just a little depressed knowing that it's over. But all great games get sequals and I know there will be more great writing from Chuckles just around the corner.

All in all this was a great series, nobody, nobody can write action like you save for maybe Tom Clancy himself. The characters were very well developed and I always find myself caring about their fates.

Can't wait to read your next Short Tale of Terror.
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, I can't wait to read this. The reviews are just raving!

And thanks for putting me in the series; and... a bigger role? Surprised That would've been interesting. Wink

I'll get to this as soon as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end! Nooooooooooooo!

Still, excellent, excellent ending.

And sorry for the scroll bar. Didn't happen to me.

Last edited by Tin Can Man on Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mainevent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I didn't submit a story this week, looks like its already loaded full of great stuff.
(Na)Marl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Hey Tin Can, mind deleting a few Os? Smile Sorry, but it puts an annoying scroll bar at the bottom.

--Well Chuckles, this was a good one. It's just that the end was a little hard to understand. Oh well, great job on it! Very Happy
HELSING

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure brilliance. Any author that can keep a series going and end this excellently needs to be published. I reaffirm that view.

I actually found the ending to be unsatisfying, as in any thriller with a tragic ending, I felt that it was........tragic. Revenge is never as sweet as it promises.

Ten w00ts, and then ten more.

By the way, I also wish Azrael would come back. He was one of the few who wrote with the same caliber as you or Mainevent.

EDIT: Would all you guys do me a favor? Head over to LordsFire's story and read it. He's a great writer, (a little out of practice because he took a six month sebatical) and he needs more input in the comment thread. It was posted at the same time as this one. Thanks.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Na)Marl wrote:
Quote:
Well Chuckles, this was a good one. It's just that the end was a little hard to understand. Oh well, great job on it!

Please let me know what confused you. I'd be happy to clear it up.

HELSING wrote:
Quote:
I actually found the ending to be unsatisfying, as in any thriller with a tragic ending, I felt that it was........tragic. Revenge is never as sweet as it promises.

I agree, although, given the circumstances, this could have been about as close to actual justice as they could have got. Ackerson would never have let himself be taken alive, so it was either kill him or risk him getting proof about Daniel Cutlass and thereby putting the family in harms way again. Hey, a guy can rationalize, can't he? Very Happy

TCM wrote:
Quote:
The end! Nooooooooooooo!

I've been writing this since April of last year, so it was about due Wink

Radont wrote:
Quote:
The characters were very well developed and I always find myself caring about their fates.

Ahh, you couldn't give me a bigger compliment than that. Making the reader care is one of the hardest things to do. If I achieved nothing more than that in writing this story, I'm satisfied.

LordsFire wrote:
Quote:
Chuckles, you are the ONLY writer of darker stories that I find myself coming back to. Every other writer I read who writes grim and gruesome stories repulses me; but for some reason not you.

Thanks, Lordsfire. Too many writers and movie makers think that being "dark"= blood and gore. I think that it has more to do with making the reader care about characters, and then putting those characters through some pretty tough and trying experiences. Yeah, gore, blood and death have their place, but only when they serve the story. If they become the focus of the story then it will be boring and pointless.

Caleb wrote:
Quote:
Good work.

Thank you. I hope that you liked your character; I certainly did.

Thanks everyone. Coming as they do from fellow writers, these reviews mean a lot to me.

C.T. Clown
simjanes2k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cannot be the end. If I have to rejoin the frag pile just to see myself exalted some more, it's worth it.

I'm attention-hungry. Feed me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: