HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commander: Hierarch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Commander: Hierarch Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Commander: Hierarch
Posted by Cthulhu117 (spartan_eric_271@yahoo.com)
4 January 2006, 9:13 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Cthulhu1170104062113111.html
Mainevent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good.

This is actually the first series I've waited for updates for in a while.

There were a couple too-long, almost run-on sentences and flow issues, but these were rare and not too much a hinderance.

I'm really enjoying your writing style, and you keep your characters vivid and alive, instead of having them descend into tedium and declining into boring doldrums.
Azathoth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of problems exactly? Can I get a specific example, because I'm too busy writing Commander: Massacre to go over the whole chapter again. I'm so lazy Wink

EDIT: Yay! Massacre is done. That took me a while. It will come out tomorrow.

Last edited by Azathoth on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mainevent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thus it was not till the next cycle that Orna walked into Eraa's dormitory room to find him meditating and repeating the Seven Principles of Strategy to himself

I don't really see a need for the 'to himself' at the end. It makes it longer than necessary and takes away from the flow. Also, you probably could have said meditatively repeating to just cut down on the length.

Quote:
'Timraee was generally more friendly to the lower ranks, but at the moment he was confused, angry and generally unable to tell what the hell was going on.

Repetition: generally.

Quote:
He had been volunteered for this mission by none other than the Energy Sword of the Prophets himself, Supreme General 'Vutbrugee.

Not grammatical, but Energy Sword of the Prophets sounds somewhat...corny.

Quote:
He wondered why 'Vutbrugee had insisted that a battlecruiser and not a carrier should bring the Prophet of Truth and the rest of the negotiators to this meeting with the Brute Chieftain.

It'd be better if you set off 'and not a carrier' in commas.

Quote:
If he had known 'Vutbrugee's reasoning, he would have been even less at ease. A battlecruiser had much less mass, making a slipspace destination easier to calculate. Therefore, it could escape into slipspace almost ten times faster than a carrier.

I think maybe a little phrase, such as 'they'd probably need it', or something along those lines, would have spiced this up considerably. As it is I could easily think that you just moved on quickly from the reason to slipspace physics, but adding a little phrase to the end could clarify that somewhat.

Quote:
Ever since him and his damned gravity throne had

I think that should be he and his.

There are some others, but I don't feel like doing all the minor things. Like I said, minor. They don't really take away from the overall story, but just tiny things you could improve if you wanted.
Azathoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainevent wrote:
Not grammatical, but Energy Sword of the Prophets sounds somewhat...corny.

Wtf? I set my Find and Change tool to find those and change them to Sword of the Prophets. That's weird. You're right, it does sound corny. That's why I wanted to change it.

Quote:
Ever since him and his damned gravity throne had

I think that should be he and his.

You're right, just looked that up.
Dagorath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Azathoth! Another cool chapter. THe Fist of Rukt is cooler than ever, good use of Latin (?) for the Brute bodyguard/chieftain names.

However, I think the Brutes have a grudge against the Hunters, so the association witht he Sharquoi is probably just to show how they're both feral and primal. Which directly contradicts the fact that their spaceships are even better than the Covenants.

Not sure about the ground engagement thing. At the back of First Strike, it says somethign about Truth admiring Tartarus's muscles "which would tear anything apart, even a mighty Hunter". However, Hunters are pretty hard to kill and Elites have shields, which do help a bit. I haven't played that level a lot of times, btu I think that the Brutes always win against the Elites when you're in the level High Charity.

Truth was funny, but I think he would be more officious and try to suck up to the Elites more. I dunno about all those other Prophets though....

I wonder, are there more Covenant Holy Cities out there?
Azathoth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Easy, Brutes kick @$$. On Normal, they win with heavy losses. On Heroic, it's a tossup. On Legendary, they usually lose. On Mythic, their furry butts get whipped and they run back to their mamas.

Anyway, just cause Tartarus could beat a Hunter doesn't mean the rest of the Brutes could. Tartarus is much larger and tougher than any other Brute.
Dagorath

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I guess the Elites are supposed to win. They're more intelligent, have cooler heads, have shields, and better weapons (only Elites have Energy Swords!). But Brutes' melee attacks are stronger, I think.

Not that Elites' ones are much worse. In Halo 1, I have sparring matches with Elites on Legendary, and I normally win. I do the same thing with Elites in H2 and get pwned on Normal Laughing
Halo Fanatic 2005

Location: The best place ever. So good, I haven't had time to find out where it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azaoth, I just read Commander: Hierach. It was the best in the series, just one question. Does Vansamee know Eraa is his son?
Dagorath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT? He's his son? WHAT?
Halo Fanatic 2006

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 'Vansamee is 'Gamsamee's father. Duh. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: