HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Twelve Night Siege
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: The Twelve Night Siege Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

The Twelve Night Siege
Posted by Jillybean (Jillybean@bungie.org)
20 December 2005, 4:04 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Jillybean1220050404121.html
Wado
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - nice. Definitely worth the long read. The artwork was wonderful. How long does it take to put something like this together? Looks like some work went into this.
BS Halo rks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great story, I just read half the first part and its great, good job, artwork is cool too.
Gammamee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: 12 Reply with quote

YES!!!!! I KNEW IT!
I am extited and aching to read this Jilly, as always I am for your stories...I'll post when done. And let me just say that the artists did a miraculous job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
russ687

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snowy, wretchedly cold scene you depicted was wonderful; I felt the chills and my breath creating thick yet short mists into the freezing air. The scenery descriptions oddly reminded me of one of the actual Halo 1 levels, but even still I could picture the whole thing clearly. The flow of your writing was nice throughout, and I only got stuck up on a few parts.

While I haven't finished reading this, a few things jumped out that merit some attention. Don't worry, I won't do this for the whole thing.

You wrote:
Even the simple movement caused noise and commotion, Hastings was breathing heavily, and he slapped his hands together to rub some warmth into them.

That seemed like an awkwardly phrased sentence, since the interjected piece of the sentence doesn't compliment the former or the latter—as if it is some random detail. A good one to add, no doubt, but the location not the greatest.

You wrote:
Their stronghold, for want of a better word, was at the top of a small incline leading to the cliffs.

Just a suggestion, since it does make sense how you have written it, but "for lack of a better" strikes me as clearer and easier to understand. I know it's a commonly used phrase, which may be why you steered away from it, but there's a reason its commonly used.

You wrote:
A recent landslide had dislodged a few large boulders, proving sparse shelter from the elements, and a wall from any plasma bolts.

Hmm. I'm trekking into the realm of GPS errors, perhaps. "Providing" would be the word to go there, or inserting "to be" after 'prior' to make the sentence technically correct.

You wrote:
"We wait here for re-inforcements."

'Inforcements' is not a word, therefore you can't have a dash between it and the prior word. 'Reinforcements' (no dash) is a word.

Otherwise, so far, so good. I'll leave another comment once I reach the end to sum it up.

-Russ
Jillybean
Darth Diva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, how long? Well I got the idea few years ago to do an illustrated fic but I never got round to it.

Then round about November I realised I hadn't thought about Christmas yet. I really hate the kind of fic I do usually, so I decided to go for something different and I thought - why not put all the eggs into one basket? So I emailled these people and got them all to agree (how I'll never know)

And then I started writing the fic. Got the fic finished last week and that's it really Smile
Zanite8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a grsat read. Brilliantly done!
HereticHuman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work, amazing art, amazing read for the holidays! Most excellent, as always Very Happy
Shishka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Jills.

For anyone that missed it on the HBO forum, the fanfic has been passed around the office. Jills and her illustrators have a bit of limelight.

The other artists did an excellent job. Good work, all.
Saint Schmitty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, that was really good!

nice to see you still have it after all this time.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I want to read this so badly, but I can't, I think I'll cry, but no, I'll read it tonight. Is that Shishka from Bungie? Well, if you'll forgive me for quoting, you've drawn quite a crowd, Jillybean.
Darkneshasfallen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Jilly Reply with quote

Great job Jilly, I really like how it all came together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Moving... Reply with quote

Well as a person that doesn't really ever post in the forums or even post fan fictions you don't know me...but I've read mostly all of your fan fictions and this one definitley takes the cake. First of all, just to organize a project like this shows your dedication and passion and makes you really stand out among the crowd. I thank you for sharing your work with the rest of us HBO visitors and I thank the artists for their amazing vision and style. This is probably the best storyline I have read on this website. Thanks again...I'll be looking for future fan fics from you. Cheers!
Jillybean
Darth Diva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoo!!

I'm totally drunk right now and very much in the spirit of loving so : yeah ho w veyr much I love these guys. I can't believe they all did these pics for me. The fic itself is pretty crap but he illustrations make it. They really do.

Huge round of apple sauce Wink
Mainevent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's sloshed boys! Get in there and raid her skills closet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: