HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commander: Trial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Commander: Trial Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Commander: Trial
Posted by Cthulhu117 (spartan_eric_271@yahoo.com)
15 December 2005, 9:31 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Cthulhu1171215052131171.html
Azathoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's said anything yet? I liked it when I wrote, but now, rereading it, I'm not so sure.
Mainevent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cold and tired and injured
huge, cold and perilous

Be sure to make it a,b, AND c instead of a, b and c on those.

Quote:
He thought back to his education on the history of the trial which he now suffered.

Since we already know by this point that he is undergoing the trial you can take that suffered part out. I think you got the miserableness of the whole thing across pretty well already.

Quote:
The Neophytes who struggled through the vale could never be certain what dangers were inherent to the deadly nature of the region and which were set up to weed out the unworthy.

The last half of this sentence is just kind of a jumble to me. Try something more like : The Neophyte young who crossed into this deadly region's threshold were never certain what dangers lay ahead, but they knew very well that only the worthy would survive them.

Quote:
endured: when they reached the age of thirteen

You'd be better of just making a new sentence here.

Quote:
short, curved metal blade

Quote:
uncomfortably long amount of time

You could go ahead and get rid of "amount of", it just takes away from the flow.

I saw some other mistakes, but most of those were branches of ones I've already discussed. One Eraa/Era problem so far. Though I doubt Sanghelli use the term nerd, so try to avoid putting human terms, especially one so informal, in a Covenant POV writing.

Quote:
Crasta's arms were nowhere in sight, and the beacon was implanted into the left bicep

There's not a problem here so much as reversing this sentence's order would have helped.

Overally, a very good beginning. I really liked this story.

Good, vivid descriptions which really helped characterize your protagonist. Well done. Code was in there, but it was spaced well enough that it didn't matter eitherway.
Matthiasthe14th

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the problems listed by Mainevent, it was an excellent story. Keep up the good work. Very Happy
Azathoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainevent wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do that. I could be wrong, because I didn't pay much attention in sixth-grade English, but I don't think the comma before 'and' matters.

Quote:
The last half of this sentence is just kind of a jumble to me. Try something more like : The Neophyte young who crossed into this deadly region's threshold were never certain what dangers lay ahead, but they knew very well that only the worthy would survive them.

That wasn't quite my meaning. I meant that some of the danger in the trial was just there: the blizzard, etc. But some of the danger is specifically put there to cause pain: the spiky things, etc.

Quote:
I saw some other mistakes, but most of those were branches of ones I've already discussed. One Eraa/Era problem so far. Though I doubt Sanghelli use the term nerd, so try to avoid putting human terms, especially one so informal, in a Covenant POV writing.

Yeah, but I couldn't think of a word that worked.

Thanks for the positive responses, anyway.
Matthiasthe14th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azathoth wrote:
Mainevent wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do that. I could be wrong, because I didn't pay much attention in sixth-grade English, but I don't think the comma before 'and' matters.

I hate to be picky, but since this is my strong point (well, sorta), the comma is, in fact, placed in the order of "a, b, and c." Although one can do it like "a and b and c", it is not recommended due to clumsy appearence and reading difficulty. Anyone please inform me if I'm wrong. So there I go, piggybacking off of other users correction points... Razz
Sterfrye36

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthiasthe14th wrote:
Azathoth wrote:
Mainevent wrote:

I hate to be picky, but since this is my strong point (well, sorta), the comma is, in fact, placed in the order of "a, b, and c." Although one can do it like "a and b and c", it is not recommended due to clumsy appearence and reading difficulty. Anyone please inform me if I'm wrong. So there I go, piggybacking off of other users correction points... Razz

That'd be called asyndenton if I remember correctly.
Dracc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the infinite complexities of the English languages, and the syntax that goes with it, the answer to the a, b, and c thing is this: They are both equally correct. Sometime when I was going to elemtry school they started telling us that since the , stood in place of the word and that using a comma before an and was redunant. This was done in order to phase out the use of that comma slowly. I learned the with the comma, so I use it. But all of the kids being taught today are being taught not to use it. in 30 years it will be official gone. In the meantime my college english handbook lists them both as acceptable.
Matthiasthe14th

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old "newspeak" infection. Too bad.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, and I thought it was Dave's smoking that kept most girls away from this forum...Very Happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: